Standalone Autosave?

Forums: Standalone Autosave?
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Standalone Autosave?

Postby leehenshall » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:53 pm

leehenshall Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:53 pm
Can we have an autosave feature please??

I just lost a huge amount of work due to a windows blue screen. Considering OCS files are so small it would be very easy to auto save the file frequently without interrupting workflow.

Maybe this already exists as a lua script?
leehenshall
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Standalone Autosave?

Postby bepeg4d » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:09 am

bepeg4d Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:09 am
Hi,
not properly what you want, but there is an "incremental save" Lua script, that you can assign to a keyboard shortcut, to speedup the saving process:
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=38846

ciao,
Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Re: Standalone Autosave?

Postby leehenshall » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:33 am

leehenshall Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:33 am
Thankyou for the suggestion.

I made sure to check the LUA script repository thread before posting (thankyou for creating this thread btw....it is really helpful!). The incremental save script is helpful for sure. But the main issue is that it is easy to forget to save when highly focused on work. ctrl + S is a very easy way to frequently save work and so is simply doing a FILE > SAVE with the mouse. But unless you remember to do this manually and frequently then you're out of luck if something unexpected happens.

When working in any 3D software the first thing I do is enable Autosave...usually set to save every 5 or 10 mins. This way I know I'll never loose more time than that if I experience a crash. Not having an autosave does devalue software considerably when time is money.

It's worth noting that Octane Standalone is VERY stable. If it fails it usually just stops the render and logs an error giving me a chance to save the scene and restart Octane. In contrast, C4D or Maya can be crashed by Octane very easily. I know this was mentioned at GTC...that work is being done to prevent Octane from taking down the DCC app so easily. I've moved to stand-alone for any serious Octane work though. If I need to work in a DCC I prefer not to use Octanes plugins and instead fall back to something like vRay.

Otoy have something special with Standalone...I would love to see more work going into making it a more comfortable place to work. Autosave feels like an incredibly easy win in this regard..
leehenshall
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Development Build Releases