Ideas for light positioning In SA

Forums: Ideas for light positioning In SA
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Ideas for light positioning In SA

Postby leehenshall » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:46 am

leehenshall Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:46 am
Loving the Standalone workflow. It's the most unique thing about Octane IMO. The only other way to get this workflow with other render engines is to use additional software like Katana which comes with complications and additional expense. Especially for small teams or individual artists.

Positioning studio lights can be a bit of a challenge though....Because SA is limited to one viewport. It can be difficult to replicate familiar workflows where I lock a render camera (which I use to preview IPR) Then use a second viewport to move lights around from a different perspective view whilst being able to see the rendered results from the shot cam.

My work around for this is to use HDR Light Studio connection for Octane. This works really well and is such a great tool and I'm very thankful to have this in Octane SA.

Long story short. There are instances where the use of Octane lights are still necessary though.

Here are some ideas that I feel would make lighting in SA much easier:

1. Enable a second render view but perhaps limit it to info channels so it is still performant. (this probably comes with all sorts of technical issues I'm not aware of)
2. Enable user to look through a light like it is a camera. The we can use the camera controls to move a light around. (This is actually possible in Maya if you would like a demonstration I can record a video)
3. A tool to move a light to the current camera position.
4. The ability to bookmark and or lock a camera position. (ATM I group my shot cam and a free cam and enable two output nodes so I can swap them in the render target when i need to chift to a new perspective to move a light.)
leehenshall
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Development Build Releases