OctaneRender™ 2018.1 XB2

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2018.1 XB2
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ 2018.1 XB2 [latest 2018]

Postby abstrax » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:34 pm

abstrax Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:34 pm
Renart wrote:Nice release!

Do you have a sample scene regarding vertex color attribute?

I've made a test model (fbx) with Quill and imported it in Maya where I get the colors using the "_VertexColor" attribute.
But in Octane I can't manage to make it work :/

Thanks!

Edit: It's also working with blender if I read the Attribute "Col" for some reason..
But in Octane it still doesn't work if I use this name

Import and export of vertex attributes via files isn't supported yet in this version. The next version will support import and export of vertex attributes via Alembic. FBX will follow next year.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:46 pm

abstrax Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:46 pm
Notiusweb wrote:Two findings with this 2018.XB2 build

1 - if you alter scene while denoiser is active, it will show serious spikes in Delayed Procedure Calls (for those of us with USB 3.0 PCIE connected GPUs). If you have Denoiser off, spikes are not nearly as significant.
So, you run the risk of a crash if you tweak too much while denoiser is on, but if you turn off and tweak, no issue. So, what I do is only use denoiser at the end when I'm rendering, and no longer fiddling with anything in the scene.

We are planning to get rid of the page locking of the film buffer channels during denoising. This might help with your issue, but I' not sure. This work started a couple of months ago, but had to take a backseat to allow us focussing on stabilizing version 4 and getting 2018 out.

2 - I found that if texture path and name exceeds a certain # of characters, when you try to load that texture into a material, it will crash Octane. If I then rename the material to a 1 or 2 character file name, it loads fine.
(I didn't yet identify what that character count is yet, but I am using Win 10.)
But, then also, if I bring the original full-named texture file to a higher level folder, it then also loads fine.
So it seems Octane doesn't like materials having texture names & paths that extend out too far with too many characters.

Are you talking about the Standalone or about a plugin? There shouldn't be a limit in name length in the Standalone, but if you experience issues, could you maybe send me the name of the file you tried to load?
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:49 pm

abstrax Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:49 pm
coilbook wrote:14000 samples later in AO. Just noise. 20 x 1080ti - 5 min to render. Why do cpus calculate cleanly and gpus just cannot. I know CPUs are slower but they do the job.
Maybe GPUs just cannot handle a big varieties of colors, lights and objects at the same time. GPUs are very slow at rendering stuff like grass but fast at one uniformed color like sky.
And denoiser creates blotchy patches out of that blue noisy interior ceiling.

Can we get a bucket mode to do clean final renderings?

In the image you posted it looks as if the light sampling is struggling. If you send me the scene, we can have a look and try to understand what is going on and how things can be improved. Thank you.
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby PolderAnimation » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:01 pm

PolderAnimation Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:01 pm
abstrax wrote:
PolderAnimation wrote:Could the padding size in the bake camera be unlocked to 100 or 200 of something like that? Would help allot thanks.

In principle we could do it, but it would be quite slow to calculate. Why would you need such a large padding?

Long story but I am working on a bit complicated stylized look. Unfortunately I just came across other issue that are harder to solve so I think I have to find another approach. So the large padding is not necessary. Thanks of the reply.
Win 10 64bit | RTX 3090 | i9 7960X | 64GB
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby PolderAnimation » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:04 pm

PolderAnimation Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:04 pm
I do have another request :). I already posted this in the RC7 thread of octane 4 (so sorry for the double post).
I would love to have control in the toon shader over the shadow color. So that per shader you can select a shadow color instead of a shadow color for the whole scene.
And an texture input for the toon ramp would also be great. Now we can only use float (vector) values.
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:45 pm

Notiusweb Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:45 pm
Could we get an Opacity or mask channel inside settings for Displacement texture, as we can't use multiply texture, add texture, etc, on displacement, just image. Would like to mask out sections of the displacement image, but doesn't seem you could do that natively inside Octane standalone.

THX!
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby calus » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:35 pm

calus Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:35 pm
Notiusweb wrote:Could we get an Opacity or mask channel inside settings for Displacement texture, as we can't use multiply texture, add texture, etc, on displacement, just image. Would like to mask out sections of the displacement image, but doesn't seem you could do that natively inside Octane standalone.

Already possible :

plug any usual texture graph to a bakedImageTexturenode plugged in displacement.

(the texture graph is baked on the fly to a temporary image buffer feeding displacement, but only support uv projection)
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:29 am

Notiusweb Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:29 am
calus wrote:
Notiusweb wrote:Could we get an Opacity or mask channel inside settings for Displacement texture, as we can't use multiply texture, add texture, etc, on displacement, just image. Would like to mask out sections of the displacement image, but doesn't seem you could do that natively inside Octane standalone.

Already possible :

plug any usual texture graph to a bakedImageTexturenode plugged in displacement.

(the texture graph is baked on the fly to a temporary image buffer feeding displacement, but only support uv projection)

Whoa!
Nice one, yes!
In Displacement you can add a BakedImageTexture, and then in the texture select Multiply Texture, Add Texture, etc...
This is a great tip, thank you Calus!
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby PolderAnimation » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:15 am

PolderAnimation Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:15 am
abstrax wrote:
Renart wrote:Nice release!

Do you have a sample scene regarding vertex color attribute?

I've made a test model (fbx) with Quill and imported it in Maya where I get the colors using the "_VertexColor" attribute.
But in Octane I can't manage to make it work :/

Thanks!

Edit: It's also working with blender if I read the Attribute "Col" for some reason..
But in Octane it still doesn't work if I use this name

Import and export of vertex attributes via files isn't supported yet in this version. The next version will support import and export of vertex attributes via Alembic. FBX will follow next year.

Will it be possible to bake lighting data to vertex attributes?
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:12 pm

coilbook Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:12 pm
please look into 3ds max crashing when octane lights are copied with octane viewport opened
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases