OctaneRender™ 4 RC 4

Forums: OctaneRender™ 4 RC 4
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ 4 RC 4 [latest version 4]

Postby Notiusweb » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:26 pm

Notiusweb Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:26 pm
Zay wrote:
Notiusweb wrote:Not sure if this is a bug. If it is, it has been going on since all versions I have tried (3.02 and >).
But just looking for some thoughts as I am seeing this in RC4...

Try the "Welding" setting when importing the abc file.

Hi Zay, thank you for the suggestion.
I did try it, but it does not resolve it.
I am thinking you mean the checkbox for 'Merge Unwelded Vertices', right?
*(You don't have to answer, but please do if you meant something else. Thx!)

Otoy team - maybe these settings are not working when Subdivision is > 0? (1, 2, 3, etc)

SubD_Settings.jpg
SubD_Settings.jpg (7.2 KiB) Viewed 3730 times

In my case checking 'Load Vertex Normals' only resolves a UV issue when SubD is 0.

Thx
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Zay » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:46 pm

Zay Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:46 pm
Region Render is slowed down a lot by the "Max. tonemap interval" settings. At "1" region render update fast - at "20" it is very very slow.
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby vijay » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:50 pm

vijay Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:50 pm
grimm wrote:Hi Guys,

Thanks for the new version, but it's not running on my Linux Mint 19 system. I downloaded it and ran, the window popped up for downloading the cudnn library. It downloaded ok, at least no errors, but then it just sat there with the splash window and didn't open the main Octane window. I checked my system monitor and saw that one CPU core is pegged at 100%. I let it run for a few minutes with no change, and then I killed it.

I restarted Octane and it didn't open the cudnn download window, but it's still stuck at the splash window and the main interface never opens. During this time one of the CPU cores is again pegged at 100% usage. I ran it from the terminal but no error messages are displayed. I had to kill it again after several minutes of running.

Jason

Sent you a pm.
vijay
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby vijay » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:08 am

vijay Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:08 am
Notiusweb wrote:
Zay wrote:
Notiusweb wrote:Not sure if this is a bug. If it is, it has been going on since all versions I have tried (3.02 and >).
But just looking for some thoughts as I am seeing this in RC4...

Try the "Welding" setting when importing the abc file.

Hi Zay, thank you for the suggestion.
I did try it, but it does not resolve it.
I am thinking you mean the checkbox for 'Merge Unwelded Vertices', right?
*(You don't have to answer, but please do if you meant something else. Thx!)

Otoy team - maybe these settings are not working when Subdivision is > 0? (1, 2, 3, etc)

SubD_Settings.jpg

In my case checking 'Load Vertex Normals' only resolves a UV issue when SubD is 0.

Thx

Vertex normals from the file are useless when a subdivision is applied on a mesh, so we will have to calculate it on runtime. I guess the problem is the winding order of the body and hands are not same, you can confirm it by rendering the character in the wireframe info channel kernel with wireframe backface highlighting enabled.
vijay
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby vijay » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:00 am

vijay Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:00 am
funk wrote:I'm just messing around with a scene where the denoiser is running every 20 seconds or so.

I noticed the result looks quite clean, but has random dots in several areas. It's a bit too big to attach to the forums.
(EDIT: I PMed a dropbox link to haze. Let me know if I should send it somewhere else)

Here is what it looks like (ctrl+zoomed in to make it easier to see). It looks the same even after rendering for 20 minutes

0027_PE_oct4_03_001_denoiser_dots.png

Alwyn is not in the office today, so could you please send me the link as well?.
vijay
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Notiusweb » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:10 am

Notiusweb Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:10 am
vijay_thirukonda wrote:
Vertex normals from the file are useless when a subdivision is applied on a mesh, so we will have to calculate it on runtime. I guess the problem is the winding order of the body and hands are not same, you can confirm it by rendering the character in the wireframe info channel kernel with wireframe backface highlighting enabled.

Hi-
Just to give all, both of these scenarios have the issue when checkbox for 'Load Vertex Normals' is off:

SubD off
ABCSubD_Off.2.png

WireFrame_NoSubD.jpg

SubD on
ABCSubD_On.png

WireFrame_SubD.jpg

Is there a way I can make Octane calculate Vertex Normals at runtime, I wasn't sure if it is a setting somewhere?
THX!
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Kalua » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:19 pm

Kalua Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:19 pm
funk wrote:I'm just messing around with a scene where the denoiser is running every 20 seconds or so.

I noticed the result looks quite clean, but has random dots in several areas. It's a bit too big to attach to the forums.
(EDIT: I PMed a dropbox link to haze. Let me know if I should send it somewhere else)

Here is what it looks like (ctrl+zoomed in to make it easier to see). It looks the same even after rendering for 20 minutes

0027_PE_oct4_03_001_denoiser_dots.png

Have you tried playing with caustics blur? Seems to me AI denoiser works better with lower values.

This build looks great so far. No bigger issues than a bit of lagging after replacing textures or editing some properties. Other than that it feels stable to me.
C4D 25.117 Octane 2022.1.2 R4, <<2 X 3090 + NVlink>>, Windows 10, X399, AMD TR 1950X, 128 GB RAM, NVIDIA SD 536.67
https://www.behance.net/PaperArchitect
Kalua
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:21 pm

abstrax Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:21 pm
Notiusweb wrote:
vijay_thirukonda wrote:

Hi-
Just to give all, both of these scenarios have the issue when checkbox for 'Load Vertex Normals' is off:

SubD off
ABCSubD_Off.2.png[/[attachment=2]WireFrame_NoSubD.jpg

SubD on
ABCSubD_On.png

WireFrame_SubD.jpg

Is there a way I can make Octane calculate Vertex Normals at runtime, I wasn't sure if it is a setting somewhere?
THX!

If you disable loading of vertex normals, they are calculated during runtime. It definitely looks like the mesh consists of multiple unwelded patches. Could you please send us the scene so we can investigate? Thank you.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby nuno1980 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:39 pm

nuno1980 Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:39 pm
@abstrax

Please read my message on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:06 am UTC. It's ALERT! because my current GTX 980 Ti will be died in maybe this year and later I will buy new GeForce RTX 2080 Ti but I will get without Octane v2 for no new RTX support. Therefore, I'm much worried!!
NOTE: I'm sorry for bad english due to mute ;)

i7-12700KF
2x16GB RAM@DDR4-3600
MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4
Zotac GF RTX 4090 NEW! <3 :mrgreen:
SSDs OCZ RD400 0.5TB and Crucial 2TB SATA3
HDD 1TB SATA2
LG BD-RE BH16NS40
PSU 1kW
CRT 21" Sony E530 :D
nuno1980
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:39 am

abstrax Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:39 am
Notiusweb wrote:
vijay_thirukonda wrote:

Hi-

SubD off
ABCSubD_Off.2.png

WireFrame_NoSubD.jpg

SubD on
ABCSubD_On.png

WireFrame_SubD.jpg

THX!

I had a look at the scene you sent to me and the problem is that the body mesh is split into separate mesh objects. Currently there is no way to "fuse" them back to one mesh in Octane. Since the subdivision is done on a per-mesh basis, the subdivided meshes will be discontinuous which becomes very obvious when looking at the sub-divided normals.

This means that the only way to solve the problem is to export the geometry as one mesh object.

In case you are interested: When you load an Alembic or FBX file, the created nodes are contained in a geometry archive, which is just a "fancy" node graph. By default Octane doesn't allow inspecting these node graphs, because they can contain tens of thousands of nodes or people might start deleting nodes and changing connections, etc., which would break the geometry. But you can tell Octane to allow you inspecting geometry archives by enabling the log flag makeAllInspectable. I.e. create a log flags file octane_log_flags.txt in the same directory where the Octane Standalone binary can be found and write makeAllInspectable into it. After restarting Octane you will be able to inspect loaded Alembic or FBX geometry archives. This might make it a bit more clear what is happening with this scene.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases