Blender Octane : Aces Pipeline Issue

Forums: Blender Octane : Aces Pipeline Issue
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Blender Octane : Aces Pipeline Issue

Postby Concrete-Imagination » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:01 am

Concrete-Imagination Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:01 am
Hi,

I'm trying to check my ACES pipeline for a project and I didn't manage to reproduce what I got with Cycles.

My workflow is : Conforming in Resolve ACES CCT and vfx plates exported as ACEScg (EXR half-float) - CGI in Blender, exported as ACEScg (EXR half-float) - Comp in NUKE also in ACES - Grading/Mastering back in Resolve. My view transform and mastering is in Rec709

For testing it I always made a simple "blank test" : I export a single frame according to the pipeline (ACEScg), import it in blender, render it back and check in resolve if I got a perfect match.

With Cycles I got no issue : I use the "image as plane" with shadeless option to import it and I tag ACEScg as IDT for the texture.
I install an ACES OCIO for overriding the native blender color management, export it and I got a perfect match.
I also always check with a colorchecker exr file also in ACEScg

But I didn't manage to make it work with Octane :

In the addon preference I use the "other config file" option with the same OCIO I use with Cycles.
For the other option I try with both "automatic" and manual with "ACES2065-1" as an entry for Manual(Octane) ; and both "ACES2065-1" or "[COlorSpace]ACES-ACEScg(ACES)"
I also deal with the Octane Imgager : using ACES:Rec709 as OCIA view (but it is only for viewer isn't it?)

For the plate, as the image as plane didn't work in Octane, I just create a plate at the good ratio and apply the texture as a RGB image.
I use a "OCIO color space" node tag as ACEScg in the Color space input socket of this "rgb image" node

For cheating the shadeless option : I use a diffuse material with roughness at 1 an use the emission input socket.
In the texture emission node I put the power to 1.

At last, for the rendering, I check the octne output option in the output properties tab
with:
file type : "EXR"
bit depth : 16-bit(floating point)
Color space : "ACEScg"

But, when I render the image, I got no match with the original plate.

Can anyone help me with that : I try a lot of variation but there is too many tweaking possibilities (issue with colormanagement, with the shader, with the render settings)...
I really to use blender octane for the project I am supervising but I need to be first 100% sure for the ACES pipeline

Thank you by advance
Concrete-Imagination
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Blender Octane : Aces Pipeline Issue

Postby elsksa » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:13 pm

elsksa Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:13 pm
Could you show the mismatch you are getting?

There isn't nothing to tweak as long as it follows the Universal ACES workflow. The only particularity is that Octane is a Spectral Renderer but it shouldn't make a huge noticeable difference in such a case.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:15 pm

elsksa Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:15 pm
For cheating the shadeless option : I use a diffuse material with roughness at 1 an use the emission input socket.
In the texture emission node I put the power to 1.

Could you elaborate on that? There is the solo-diffuse-material trick but not sure I interpret this "shadeless cheat".
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:18 pm

elsksa Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:18 pm
Are the Blender Color Management properly set (to "Raw")?

Some more information regarding ACES and Octane Blender Color MGMT.

General Octane Color Management
ACES in Octane
OctaneRender Blender Color Management
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Concrete-Imagination » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:11 pm

Concrete-Imagination Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:11 pm
Thanks for your answers :

To answer your returns :

1-) First, No probem to show you the differences but I don't know how to incorpore images in this forum. Do you know how to ?
I know normally there is nothing to "tweak" that's the problem !! :-)
The fact is no that as you wrote "it shouldn't make a huge noticeable difference" but in fact I should have 0% difference: It is mandatory for a movie pipeline. And I can get that easily with cycles. Of course I check with my scopes (waveform/parade/vectorscope) not my eyes even I work with a 10bit 4:4:4 clean feed from a decklink.

2-)About the "cheating" : well I was searching a way to show the image not influence by the 3d environment. A classic way of doing that in Cycles is to use a emission node, turn the strength to 1 and kill all lighting environnement from the scene. So I try to reproduce it in octane, but I am not sure the 1 value is correct from an octane point of view.

3-) Yes the environnement is on Raw
Thanks a lot for the links but I already read them and they give me no clue (nether the -at least- 20 other text/tutorials found on the subject).

Do you have more insight on how to achieve that ?
Thank you once more for your answers
Concrete-Imagination
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Blender