"Render Animation" long update times between Frames

Forums: "Render Animation" long update times between Frames
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Re: "Render Animation" long update times between Frames

Postby Silverwing » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:53 pm

Silverwing Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:53 pm
Alright.

I made some further tests. Same exact scene on 27.17 and 28.6
I took some time to adjust all the shaders to 27.17 then saved it and opened it back up in 28.6 to do the test there.

Scene in 27.17 send to render. Time in between frames, still a rather long 60 seconds.
Though massively faster then on 28.6 where i clocked it pretty exactly to 120 seconds.

Also It takes less ram to prepare the frame on 27.17 (not Vram, system RAM)

Hopefully it´s not annoying me comparing it with my C4D experience all the time. I have the feeling that in C4D, like in Blenders "Viewport Shading" / Live rendering the delta is streamed to the engine every frame. But with blender there is something more going on. It needs to update instead carrying on rendering.

Also I tried making a viewport rendering because that would mean fast rendered previews. Unfortunately this did not work and the preview was all dark gray (I guess the viewport background color)
Cheers and thanks again for reading about me rambling on!

Raphael
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-12-21 183325.png
27.17 where i clocked it pretty exactly to 60 seconds. Frame Pulse.
Screenshot 2023-12-21 193808.png
28.6 where i clocked it pretty exactly to 120 seconds. Frame Pulse.
WIN 10 PRO 64 | ASUS X99-E WS | 3 X GTX 1080Ti | i7 5960X 8X 3,33GHz | 64GB RAM
Silverwing
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby J.C » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:21 pm

J.C Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:21 pm
Hi Raphael,

do you have some modifiers in your scene? Subdivisions or other that alter 3d meshes? In my experience when rendering animations in Octane for Blender this was always a factor that slowed down frame advancing as Blender has to "flatten" those objects before rendering every frame.
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Silverwing » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:48 pm

Silverwing Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:48 pm
J.C wrote:Hi Raphael,

do you have some modifiers in your scene? Subdivisions or other that alter 3d meshes? In my experience when rendering animations in Octane for Blender this was always a factor that slowed down frame advancing as Blender has to "flatten" those objects before rendering every frame.

Thank you very much for your input. I really appreciate it!
In the first version I indeed had some SDS modifiers in the scene (almost all the objects are SDS modeled). So my thought process was exactly the same as yours. So instead of using the SDS modifier I switched to using the Octane (rendertime) Open SubDivision in the Object data properties.
Turning those off probably makes the scene load faster.

I also use Geo Nodes. for the Cables. Though all the geometry is static so I would expect it to load once and then stay in GPU memory not having to be updated again...
Thank you for your input again. I will make some tests based on this ;)
Silverwing
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Silverwing » Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:27 pm

Silverwing Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:27 pm
I found a workaround for now.

Somehow I got the ORBX export working. Not sure why it was not working in my earlier test.

In the standalone there are also no load times between frames. So I could render a 150 frame sequence in about 14 minutes.
Whereas if I would have done this though Blender, it would only manage to render around 6-7 Frames in the same time frame.

While it would be still great to get the same in between frame speed in Blender directly. This is at least a good way to be able to get fast results ;)

Cheers and a good Christmas time to you all!
Raphael
Silverwing
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Andreas_Resch » Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:52 pm

Andreas_Resch Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:52 pm
Great to hear. As I thought there's something going wrong in the communication between Blender and the Octane server.

Have a great time over the holidays.
Andreas_Resch

Postby J.C » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:17 pm

J.C Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:17 pm
Silverwing wrote:I found a workaround for now.

Somehow I got the ORBX export working. Not sure why it was not working in my earlier test.

In the standalone there are also no load times between frames. So I could render a 150 frame sequence in about 14 minutes.
Whereas if I would have done this though Blender, it would only manage to render around 6-7 Frames in the same time frame.

While it would be still great to get the same in between frame speed in Blender directly. This is at least a good way to be able to get fast results ;)

Cheers and a good Christmas time to you all!
Raphael

It's hard to say what is causing the issue without having the scene. If you could upload it to check we could have a look and maybe find the reason for such issue.
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Silverwing » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:22 pm

Silverwing Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:22 pm
J.C wrote:It's hard to say what is causing the issue without having the scene. If you could upload it to check we could have a look and maybe find the reason for such issue.

I understand that.
The scene is meant for further use with my patreon, so I can´t share it publicly unfortunately.
Though I gave it to Linograndiotoy for further inspection.

Over the past couple of Days I have been re-shading the scene in Cycles, and it behaves as I would expect.
So the issues I am experiencing seem to be coming from the implementation, and unfortunately not the way I use the plugin.

The Orbix export method is good enough for now. So I can work with Octane this way.

Cheers,
Raphael
Silverwing
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:34 am

linograndiotoy Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:34 am
[quote="Silverwing"

Unfortunately it resets after restarting the render or rendering out a final animation. So it renders without Vertex Attributes.
Of course the same problem presists in the addon version (as you mentioned before) About 2 min preperation time for each frame.

I would be so super thankful if this could somehow be avoided and the renderer would only update the delta between the frames (like it does in "Viewport Shading" / Live rendering)
I think this would be a huge step forward in Usability!
[/quote]

That's exactly how it's supposed to work. If it doesn't there's definitely something we need to fix. Devs are aware of the issue.
Thanks for providing the scene, by the way!
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Previous

Return to Blender