Tree leaves disappearing during view port render

Forums: Tree leaves disappearing during view port render
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Tree leaves disappearing during view port render

Postby timAugustine » Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:15 am

timAugustine Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:15 am
Hi all,

I'm hit with a peculiar problem! Have you seen something like this before?

I'm rendering two tree (around 4M faces each) and while the view port render is going on, the leaves start to fade and then disappear. This only happens to one of them at a time. Both the trees have the same materials.

This is how the tree looks like when there are no issues:
1c.PNG
solid leaves

This is how it starts to fade:
1a.PNG
fading leaves

I wonder if it's because I'm very close to using up my computer's resources:
1b.PNG
task manager

The leaf material is a simple PBR. Thank you so much in advance for any response!

Regards
Tim
timAugustine
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Tree leaves disappearing during view port render

Postby linograndiotoy » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:09 am

linograndiotoy Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:09 am
Hard to tell what the issue may be without taking a look at the scene.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Lewis » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:33 pm

Lewis Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:33 pm
Have you started rendering trees in the summer and then ended up in Fall ?

If yes then then it could be considered as feature that leaves fall off automatically ;) :)?
--
Lewis
http://www.ram-studio.hr
Skype - lewis3d
ICQ - 7128177

WS AMD TRPro 3955WX, 256GB RAM, Win10, 2 * RTX 4090, 1 * RTX 3090
RS1 i7 9800X, 64GB RAM, Win10, 3 * RTX 3090
RS2 i7 6850K, 64GB RAM, Win10, 2 * RTX 4090
Lewis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby timAugustine » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:30 pm

timAugustine Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:30 pm
LOL @Lewis!

It's such a puzzling issue. I'm still facing it but right now I'm focusing on other parts of the scene so it's not an active issue. I'm not sure how to share this scene as it's a 1 GB+ file. I've ditched the second model of the tree and have been using instances of only one tree in the whole scene and I'm still facing this issue.

I'm going to try a few more things later on like experimenting with removing the translucency of the leaves to see if it has anything to do with this!

Tim
timAugustine
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Whispermode » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:10 am

Whispermode Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:10 am
timAugustine wrote:LOL @Lewis!

It's such a puzzling issue. I'm still facing it but right now I'm focusing on other parts of the scene so it's not an active issue. I'm not sure how to share this scene as it's a 1 GB+ file. I've ditched the second model of the tree and have been using instances of only one tree in the whole scene and I'm still facing this issue.

I'm going to try a few more things later on like experimenting with removing the translucency of the leaves to see if it has anything to do with this!

Tim

I've had this before and can't remember for the life of me what it was - not helpful, sorry, but maybe have a look at the normals on the leaves and the gamma values on the alpha.

Also, the denoiser can do weird things over time - I've had it gradually removing shadows before, so worth a look.
Whispermode
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby timAugustine » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:36 pm

timAugustine Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:36 pm
This issue was on the back burner for a while and now I would really like to fix it. Please note that this tree I'm rendering is quite heavy on my system (rtx1070 mobile version) and the tree has 10 million polygons and I've "instanced copied" the leaves to have foliage cover on the tree.

I'm adding a video of this happening for reference. Any help troubleshooting this is much appreciated!

I should also note that this video was recorded during the final render and not view port render

timAugustine
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:05 pm

linograndiotoy Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:05 pm
It would be great if you could share a simplified scene still showing the issue, so we can take a deeper look.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby frankmci » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:06 pm

frankmci Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:06 pm
timAugustine wrote:I'm adding a video of this happening for reference. Any help troubleshooting this is much appreciated!

It will be a lot easier to offer suggestions if you tell us what trouble shooting you have already done. The most obvious thing is to first try it with a much simpler version of the same scene setup, eliminating as many variables as possible.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby timAugustine » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:03 pm

timAugustine Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:03 pm
So far, this is what I've noted:

It does not disappear if it has nothing intersecting with it. If add the tree trunk, the leaves start to disappear. If it's just the leaves, they render fine.
I'll try to duplicate the .blend file and start simplifying it and the upload it here. Thanks!
timAugustine
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:28 pm

frankmci Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:28 pm
timAugustine wrote:So far, this is what I've noted:

It does not disappear if it has nothing intersecting with it. If add the tree trunk, the leaves start to disappear. If it's just the leaves, they render fine.
I'll try to duplicate the .blend file and start simplifying it and the upload it here. Thanks!

I'd try greatly simplifying the trees themselves, too. Use a couple of scrawny saplings with only a few leaves. Try it with simple color materials applied to all geometry instead of any bitmap textures. Start from a clean, new scene file to eliminate any oddities or extraneous elements that may have crept in during project development. If you can repeat the behavior in such a simple scene, it should be relatively easy to track down what's causing the issue.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Blender