Render freezing with high power HDRI + motion blur (2+ sampl

Forums: Render freezing with high power HDRI + motion blur (2+ sampl
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Render freezing with high power HDRI + motion blur (2+ sampl

Postby Yngvai » Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:52 am

Yngvai Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:52 am
I've got a complicated Transformer model with a lot of objects. If I render it with an HDRI at regular power (power = 1) and motion blur samples on objects set to 3 (to help fix this problem I described here https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=82131), then everything is fine.

However, I have multiple HDRIs I took of the environment that day, and I didn't take enough exposure levels for one of them that I might be interested in using. If I use that HDRI, I have to increase the power to 3 to get it to look right (otherwise it's too dark). However, when I do this, the combo of this and the motion blur settings cause Blender/Octane to choke and freeze. I know increasing the samples on motion blur can use a lot of memory but even if I bring them down to 2 it still freezes (either render doesn't start or it starts then freezes partway through).

Wonder if there's a way I can work around this problem? I've got 48 gig of RAM and a RTX 3060Ti with 8 g VRAM.
Yngvai
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Render freezing with high power HDRI + motion blur (2+ sampl

Postby Yngvai » Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:51 am

Yngvai Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:51 am
I solved the issue by just taking the wheels and setting the motion blur samples to 3, but leaving them at 1 for all other objects in the robot/car (as it was only the wheels where I was having the motion blur problem). I was then able to render fine with the HDRI power at 3.
Yngvai
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Blender