Help requested with depth of focus settings

Forums: Help requested with depth of focus settings
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Help requested with depth of focus settings

Postby timAugustine » Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:17 am

timAugustine Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:17 am
Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to set camera depth of focus in Octane. Here are my settings:

1) Used as Universal Camera is disabled
2) Use F-Stop is enabled. A value of 2.8 is set, for example
3) Camera focus is an cube which will be placed where everything should be in focus.

This is what I'm noticing: When I'm on the view port render mode and I zoom in on a part of the scene that's not in focus, the rate at it which it is defocused increases seemingly proportional to how closely I zoom in with the mouse wheel.
I've never had a physical camera where I can change the aperture or fstop so I don't know if I'm missing something basic, but I feel like this is not how it should behave. I've even tried this with cycles and the amount of blur on defocused areas of the screen appears consistent no matter how much I zoom in to the defocused areas of the scene.

In the image attached below, please note how much the monkey in the back is blurred
zoom_1.PNG
zoom_1

The image below is when I zoomed in on the monkey in the back with my mouse wheel. See how much more it has been blurred
zoom_2.PNG
zoom_2

I've included screenshots and the blend file itself. Please do let me know if you require more information.

Thank you so much in advance for any feedback/response!

Regards,
Tim
Attachments
dof_testing.blend
example_blend_file
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 40 times
timAugustine
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Help requested with depth of focus settings

Postby jan8 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:28 am

jan8 Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:28 am
this seems real world behavior: the depth of field becomes significantly shallower if the focal plane is really close to the lens/film back. i.e.: an aperture of 2.8 can mean a fairly deep depth of field when the focal plane is far away. when using the mouse wheel, you're not zooming in, but rather you are moving the camera (assuming 'Camera to View' is checked), and thus narrowing the depth of field as you get closer to the focal plane (your cube)... a real world camera behaves the same. hope this helps
jan8
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby timAugustine » Tue May 02, 2023 7:35 pm

timAugustine Tue May 02, 2023 7:35 pm
Hi Jan8, thank you for your response!

when using the mouse wheel, you're not zooming in, but rather you are moving the camera (assuming 'Camera to View' is checked), and thus narrowing the depth of field as you get closer to the focal plane (your cube)

I did not have Camera to View set. So when I was zooming in and out, the position of the camera wasn't changing. The only thing that changed was how big the rendered area looked on my screen. Also, I noticed that this behaviour does not happen when I enable "Used as Universal Camera". I like that this option has way more variables for me to tweak than before. So I guess I don't have this issue any longer?
timAugustine
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Tue May 02, 2023 9:10 pm

elsksa Tue May 02, 2023 9:10 pm
timAugustine wrote:(...) So I guess I don't have this issue any longer?

The issue should not occur with other camera types e.g. Thin Lens. Could you record a video and upload it to YouTube as unlisted, reproducing the issue (if still occurring)?
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Blender