A couple of questions

Forums: A couple of questions
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

A couple of questions

Postby kabakZ » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:54 pm

kabakZ Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:54 pm
Hi, I have a couple of questions about Octane, and it would be nice to get some answers from the developers or experienced users.

1. What is a representation of Blender's "non-color" texture profile in Octane?
Should I set the texture gamma to 1.0 instead of the default 2.2 for normal/bump/spec maps?

2. OpenGL/DirectX normals.
Is there a chance to finally get an "Invert Normal" checkbox for normal maps that flips Y channel?

3. Spectron lighting. Is Spectron lighting already implemented for the Blender version?
If not, is there an approximate time when it will be implemented?

4. RTX. Is it true that Octane's RTX or RTX itself perform better with triangle topology rather than quads?

Thanks! :D
kabakZ
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: A couple of questions

Postby linograndiotoy » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:02 pm

linograndiotoy Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:02 pm
Should I set the texture gamma to 1.0 instead of the default 2.2 for normal/bump/spec maps?

Yes, that's what I normally do. It can also depend on the texture format (I always use 1 for EXR file for example).

2. OpenGL/DirectX normals.
Is there a chance to finally get an "Invert Normal" checkbox for normal maps that flips Y channel?

That would be welcome, meanwhile you can use an OSL shader.

3. Spectron lighting. Is Spectron lighting already implemented for the Blender version?
If not, is there an approximate time when it will be implemented?

Yes,Spectron lights (Area and Sphere)are already implemented in Octane for Blender.

4. RTX. Is it true that Octane's RTX or RTX itself perform better with triangle topology rather than quads?

Internally all quads are converted to triangles when rendering, so all your geometry is always made of triangles.

Thanks! :D

You're welcome.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby J.C » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:18 pm

J.C Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:18 pm
kabakZ wrote:Hi, I have a couple of questions about Octane, and it would be nice to get some answers from the developers or experienced users.

If your image is a HDR image set it's gamma to 1 otherwise all other LDR images should be 2.2
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kabakZ » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:05 am

kabakZ Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:05 am
So, in theory, Spectron area light (with portals?) should perform better and produce less noise for interior scene setup, when lighting is coming through a window, rather than an HDRI?
kabakZ
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:53 pm

linograndiotoy Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:53 pm
kabakZ wrote:So, in theory, Spectron area light (with portals?) should perform better and produce less noise for interior scene setup, when lighting is coming through a window, rather than an HDRI?

Portal lights are a different concept.
Spectron lights are Sphere and Area lights that are way less noisy than emissive geometry.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Blender