overexposed picture when using hdri

Forums: overexposed picture when using hdri
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

overexposed picture when using hdri

Postby oblivion » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:34 pm

oblivion Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:34 pm
Can someone help me with this issue? When using an hdri for lighting, the image is totally overexposed.
Attachments
01.JPG
oblivion
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: overexposed picture when using hdri

Postby WIPEXPO » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:19 am

WIPEXPO Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:19 am
gamma - 1
WIPEXPO
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:34 am

linograndiotoy Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:34 am
As a general rule, the gamma of an HDRI should always be set to 1.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby oblivion » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:14 pm

oblivion Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:14 pm
Alright, good point. But the viewport preview doesn't look the same as the render result. I am not sure, this has been asked before maybe? How can I make them look the same?
Attachments
01.JPG
oblivion
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby J.C » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:35 am

J.C Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:35 am
oblivion wrote:Alright, good point. But the viewport preview doesn't look the same as the render result. I am not sure, this has been asked before maybe? How can I make them look the same?

1. Go to Render Properties tab in Properties window.

Expand Color Management and set:

* Display Device to: None
* View: Default
* Exposure: 0.0
* Gamma: 1.0

------------------------------------------------------

2. Go to Camera tab in Properties window and enable Octane Camera Imager (Render mode)

------------------------------------------------------

3. Alternatively go to 3d view Properties panel (N key shortcut), locate Octane Camera Imager (preview Mode) and enable Override. This way all cameras will have the setting from this panel.

color management.png
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby oblivion » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:23 pm

oblivion Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:23 pm
thanks for this detailed instruction

but jeez...

@developers: can you simplify this process a little bit maybe? :-)
oblivion
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:22 pm

linograndiotoy Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:22 pm
oblivion wrote:thanks for this detailed instruction

but jeez...

It's very simple already. When you use Cycles, you need to specify the Display Device options. None means basically Linear, sRGB is color corrected. It's just one setting, hard to simplify it more than that.
And that's all you really need to do, as long as you want to work in Octane using an sRGB profile (the most used in general). That's true for the Preview.

Octane offers its own color correction through the Octane Camera Imager. When the Octane Camera Imager is disabled, you're automatically using an sRGB profile. When it's enable, you can use any profile you want (sRGB, Linear and so on).
In any Octane integration you need to disable the 3D software standard color correction, or the correction will be applied twice.
In Blender you have two Octane Imager settings (same for Post Process). One is dedicated to the preview, the other to the Camera. You can use the Override options for the Preview Camera Imager and Post Process if you want to use the same settings for the Camera as well.

Normally when you work and want to use a compositing software to edit your final renders, you work in sRGB but save in Linear, so to be able to store and use high dynamic range images and get maximum freedom and control over the final result.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby J.C » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:24 am

J.C Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:24 am
oblivion wrote:thanks for this detailed instruction

but jeez...

You can save those settings as default blender file so you won't have to change them everytime you create a new file.
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby John_Do » Fri May 08, 2020 9:32 pm

John_Do Fri May 08, 2020 9:32 pm
Thanks for the settings guys, I was struggling with some serious differences between C4D and Blender Octane renders, now I understand why.

But has something changed since 2.80 ? I can't get the right result in the Render Window and in the Octane viewport.

- Blender viewport / Preview display the correct, colormanaged result, according to the Camera Imager (Preview) settings.
- Render windows and Octane viewport display the linear result, whether I use the Camera Imager override or the camera's item Camera Imager. It seems stuck in linear mode.

octane_gamma.jpg

- The render result only react to Blender own color management settings. Rising the gamma to 2.2 fix the issue on the final render, but double the gamma in Preview.

BlenderOctane 2.82.7 / Octane 2020.1

One more thing : why the color management isn't set up by default like explained by J.C ? If I understand things correctly, it's not an artistic choice, but a technical one, the correct way to display images in Octane for Blender right ? If so, should be default. Or display a warning at first launch.
Not that I'm bothered to change it and save it in a default scene, but not every user has the experience or the wish to deal with these knobs.
John_Do
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Sat May 09, 2020 9:00 am

linograndiotoy Sat May 09, 2020 9:00 am
- Blender viewport / Preview display the correct, colormanaged result, according to the Camera Imager (Preview) settings.
- Render windows and Octane viewport display the linear result, whether I use the Camera Imager override or the camera's item Camera Imager. It seems stuck in linear mode.

Check your Camera Imager settings in the Camera Settings. That's where you define the color space for you saved renders, unless you're not using the Override option in the Camera Imager settings you can find in the the main OpenGL view numeric panel.

One more thing : why the color management isn't set up by default like explained by J.C ? If I understand things correctly, it's not an artistic choice, but a technical one, the correct way to display images in Octane for Blender right ? If so, should be default. Or display a warning at first launch.
Not that I'm bothered to change it and save it in a default scene, but not every user has the experience or the wish to deal with these knobs.

I'll ask if it's possible to set the Display to none by default. We need to consider a user may have the standard Blender version installed already, so changing its configuration file could be a bad idea.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Next

Return to Blender