Blender-Octane workflow question

Forums: Blender-Octane workflow question
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Blender-Octane workflow question

Postby kavorka » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:20 pm

kavorka Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:20 pm
I will be getting the pluggin shortly, but I have a work flow question.

I get projects come in where I have several scenes to render. (Currently) I have different layers set up with the different sets of furniture. When one set is ready, I export, start rendering and then while it's rendering in the background I come back and start getting the next thing ready to render. This way I am not wasting any time.
I don't want to have a different .Blend file for each set because they often use the same materials and I want the scenes to be the same.

Will this be possible to do with the integrated plugin? If I go to a new layer, will it then start to render that layer instead? Will the integrated plugin ruin my workflow?

Thanks in advance
Intel quad core i5 @ 4.0 ghz | 8 gigs of Ram | Geforce GTX 470 - 1.25 gigs of Ram
kavorka
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Blender-Octane workflow question

Postby megacal » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:38 pm

megacal Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:38 pm
Kavorka,

what about having a 2nd instance of BlenderOctane open to work on the next layer? :)

I just tried it, and can edit the same .blend with a new instance of BlenderOctane
while the first instance is rendering.

But I can't go into Rendered shading at the same time....I guess the OctaneServer can
only handle one Blender at a time(?), or only one instance of OctaneServer can run at
the same time?

I will try copy/pasting the whole setup in another folder. If they are separate processes,
why not? Worth a try anyway.....nothing ventured, nothing gained. ;)

15min later....

After cloning the setup in a separate folder I found that:

1. You can have 2 instances (or more?) of BlenderOctane merrily rendering at the same time.

2. But you cannot have 2 instances in Rendered shading for real-time preview rendering
or Blender will lock up....probably the Server is unable to handle it? Or doesn't allow it.

But it WILL render the same or different blends concurrently.

Maybe I didn't even have to do the cloning, but it works anyway. ;)

ps- I hope it doesn't violate the license. :shock:
2 GPUs: Zotac GTX 580 1.5gb Amp! GPU for Octane....Galaxy 210 1gb for display
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955,3.2 ghz RAM: 8gb OS: Win7 64
megacal
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Blender-Octane workflow question

Postby kavorka » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:04 pm

kavorka Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:04 pm
I'll have to try this. All I want to do is continue working while it's rendering something from the same file, without resetting it.
Intel quad core i5 @ 4.0 ghz | 8 gigs of Ram | Geforce GTX 470 - 1.25 gigs of Ram
kavorka
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Blender