OctaneRender™ for Blender 1.20.1 - 1.2 beta [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender™ for Blender 1.20.1 - 1.2 beta [OBSOLETE]
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Re: OctaneRender™ for Blender 1.20.1 - 1.2 beta [CURRENT]

Postby myclay » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:29 pm

myclay Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:29 pm
Hi mib2berlin thanks for the information :D
Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX570 + GTX260 | i7 3770 | 16GB
myclay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JimStar » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:33 pm

JimStar Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:33 pm
afecelis wrote:I was finally able to purchase Octane Blender and I'm totally blown away! It's a match made in heaven, congrats and thanks to the dev team for making our lives happier ;)
However, I do know it's still a beta and there are many things to improve, but overall it's working great and the team has done a great job porting the different options to blender's UI.
I'd like to know if you guys can help me with a couple of things.
1. Octane's camera render is not matching my blender camera, how can I make them the same?

Can you please give me the scene where I can reproduce this difference?..
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender™ for Blender 1.20.1 - 1.2 beta [OBSOLETE]

Postby JimStar » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:22 am

JimStar Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:22 am
Next versin HERE.;)
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Marten74 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:09 pm

Marten74 Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:09 pm
Marten74 wrote:
mib2berlin wrote:Hi Marten74, got your message but can´t reproduce your problem.
No matter what Blender version I take, if I load a non square image I also get a a non square unwrap.
Sreenshot is with 2.68a.

Cheers, mib.

Hello!

Hmm, that is strange. The last image I posted was from Blender 2.68. Now I just installed 2.68a with the same result (see image).

The green arrow points out the shading options in (old) Blender that has been taken away from the BlenderOctane program. I figure that has something to do with why I can´t get a preview of what Image I apply in the UV editor. Let´s say you apply a generated UV grid in the UV-editor. How do you make it show in the 3D-view port? The only way I can figure out is to save the UV grid texture to disc, open it in an Octane texture node and plug it in to the material created for the plane. Then I can view it choosing the material option under shading options. If I have not missed something, I hope for tighter integration with octane plugin regarding this.

To get a non square projection from a square plane seems to me like a problem since this means that the texture will be distorted on the plane. The only way to get a non distorted texture from a non square texture would be to always have the plane in the exact same dimensions as the image. Some times that is what you want, but far from always. Do you see my point? I thought that maybe this is some kind of setting I have forgot about. I looked through the preferences trying to find something that could affect the projection from view function without luck.

Wonder if I´m alone about this? Interesting :shock:

So, quoting my self here since no one else will ;)

mib2berlin, are you using project from view (bounds)? That will make any projection fit the texture you have loaded. I´m talking about the "regular" project from view. Any thing else then getting the exact shape of the surface you are projecting, regardless of texture shape loaded, seems very strange to me. If you project a surface on to any texture, you would want the texture to come out undistorted on that surface, right? If the projection takes the shape of the texture, it will become distorted, unless the surface and the texture has the same aspect ratio. Am I thinking wrong here??? I have tested to project from view, as shown in my earlier post, on a different computer running 2.66a. It behaves the way I would expect it to (I´m attaching the images again). A comment from all our hero JimStar would be very appreciated, or any one else that might either correct my brain or come to my conclution :mrgreen:

When applying a texture in the uv-editor, is there any way to make it show in the regular shading mode (solid). Or, do you have to create an octane material and add a octane texture in order to see the texture and choose shading mode "material"? Maybe something to just get used to. Guess you have to do that eventually any way...

Added comment: Really tried to make this work, but I can´t. Try this as an example: Take an image of a country (what I did right now), or anything contained within the edges of a texture. Trace the boarders. Now, project from view. You would expect the traced boarders would match the boarders on the texture, but no. Why? Because of what I describe above. The projection scales to the aspect ratio of the texture. With a complex traced boarder it is a pain to manually scale and try to fit the projection exactly. Would any one be kind enough to let me in on a workflow that works :)
Attachments
blender268a.jpg
Texture display features "missing" in Octane for Blender (this is from regular Blender)
BlenderOctane.jpg
Blender for Octane project from view (rectangular projection from square plane)
Good_old_Blender.jpg
Regular Blender project from view (square projection from square plane)
Marten74
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Blender