Do the devs care about UI/UX in Octane for Blender?

Forums: Do the devs care about UI/UX in Octane for Blender?
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Re: Do the devs care about UI/UX in Octane for Blender?

Postby AlexeyAdamitsky » Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:47 am

AlexeyAdamitsky Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:47 am
This is set up in the same way as in standalone. The color is defined by the temperature. This drives the efficiency. If it was set to an RGB color by default then you can't directly read the number as an efficiency anymore.

I agree, but only to a point. You can easily control Value of the color parameter to control light strength from 0-1. But I don't have a strong UX case again the current workflow at the moment.
AlexeyAdamitsky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby AlexeyAdamitsky » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:10 am

AlexeyAdamitsky Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:10 am
Please, add a small QoL to Round Edges.

Allow the Radius to be in Scene Units. It's a more obvious way to control the edge radius. I know what I want on a 1 cm edge bevel on a 1 m cube. So it'll be easy to pick 1 cm Radius.

New users will be confused what the current value means exactly and must either experiment to understand it. Most don't know that the 1 is for one meter (or whatever the default scene value is user's settings).

Just make it a scene unit value, and it'll be obvious even to new users to Octane.

Or, at least, improve the documentation and notes to the values.

Last edited by AlexeyAdamitsky on Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlexeyAdamitsky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby AlexeyAdamitsky » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:27 am

AlexeyAdamitsky Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:27 am
Please, STOP messing up my nodes setups.

It's very annoying that Octane auto rearrange my nodes every time I duplicate an object. This is a very intrusive behavior. I want my nodes to stay where they're because I position them in a particular way to have fast access to features I use the most.

It's especially important for the lights, since you can't control Octane lights intensities easily at the Light Object level and must do it at the nodes level.

Stop this nodes auto-rearranging behavior, please.

AlexeyAdamitsky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:47 am

linograndiotoy Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:47 am
That shouldn't happen for sure!

It only happens for lights, right?

We'll fix it.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby AlexeyAdamitsky » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:11 pm

AlexeyAdamitsky Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:11 pm
Yes, it seems like it happens to light objects only. It happens when you append the light object from another file or from Asset Library or when simply duplicating the object.
AlexeyAdamitsky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby AlexeyAdamitsky » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:51 am

AlexeyAdamitsky Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:51 am
Please, improve the UX workflow with passes/AOVs.

BETTER PASSES UX

While passes is a legacy system now it still could use some love. I assume it'll stay for a while with us so it could get some tune up still.

Preview Pass Type should represent only Enabled passes which you choose below from the settings in Passes panel.

Currently, it’s confusing, especially for new users. If you select a pass to preview which is not enabled, you’ll get a black viewport. This can be seen as a bug. New users, most likely, won’t know that you have to enable passes in the Passes panel first and only then you can pick them from the Preview Pass Type menu to view in viewport.

Representing only enabled passes in the Preview Pass Type menu will also solve another issue with ugly long menu list with all possible option present. It’ll simplify the navigation between only enabled options of the shorter list.

The new AOV system doesn’t have such issue since it represents only enabled passes.

VIEWPORT SHADING ACCESS TO PASSES

Preview Passes Type should be present in Viewport Shading dropdown section for fast access and be consistent following Blender UI standards. It adds a significant level of convenience to use this section to switch between available preview passes rather than jumping around properties panels.

If the user is using the new AOVs system, then you should mirror the current active Preview Render Pass menu in the Viewport Shading dropdown section.

IMPROVE AOV UX

Both Octane Render AOV and Octane Composite editors should remember the active nodes network per scene. Like World or Composite editors do. They remember nodes setup per scene.

Currently, it's not the case and creates additional headache if you have to switch the editors while working.

World editor remembers nodes networks (2) per scene (1). So you don’t need to pick and enable your active nodes network each time you switch between editors. Follow this design and behavior for your editors.

I have a suspicion it might be not as easy for you to do since Blender doesn’t allow to easily duplicate existing editors and their native functionality, so you might have had to make your own custom version which looks to be heavily borrowed from LuxCore integration design. If it’s the case, it would be wise to collaborate or at least let Blender devs know that you have such issues and maybe work with them on a better native improvement to the API, maybe.
AlexeyAdamitsky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby AlexeyAdamitsky » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:46 am

AlexeyAdamitsky Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:46 am
linograndiotoy wrote:That shouldn't happen for sure!

It only happens for lights, right?

We'll fix it.

Thank you for fixing the nodes auto re-arrangement for the lights in 27.11. It was a huge pain in the *** for me. I'm happy it behaves as expected now.
AlexeyAdamitsky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:02 am

linograndiotoy Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:02 am
AlexeyAdamitsky wrote:Currently, it’s confusing, especially for new users. If you select a pass to preview which is not enabled, you’ll get a black viewport. This can be seen as a bug. New users, most likely, won’t know that you have to enable passes in the Passes panel first and only then you can pick them from the Preview Pass Type menu to view in viewport.

You can select any pass and see it in in the Octane Preview, regardless it has been activated or not.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Previous

Return to Blender