OctaneRender™ for Blender 1.20.2 - 2.1 beta Win [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender™ for Blender 1.20.2 - 2.1 beta Win [OBSOLETE]
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Re: OctaneRender™ for Blender 1.20.2 - 2.1 beta Win [CURRENT

Postby rattle-snake » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:00 pm

rattle-snake Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:00 pm
Hi JimStar !

I was actually using Octane render for 3DS max plugin, and was more than happy with it. But for now, my society decided to work with blender and so... here I am :lol:

Firstly, I wanted to thank you so muuuch for your amazing work, and for the really fast improvements you've done!!! You're the one :P

Secondly I wanted to tell you that I'm trying to test a scene with some particles (fire/smoke) in blender and octane. Well at the moment it doesn't show anything... but maybe I did something wrong as I'm pretty new with blender.

But maybe you didn't have the time to make it works for the moment (as it's an early beta).
So if it is the case, did you planed to add the particles to the render after ?

If it's actually working, I'm sorry for this post :-)

Cheers from France !

Seb
rattle-snake
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby r4ytrace » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:11 pm

r4ytrace Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:11 pm
unfortunately I still can't run with even these latest builds:

'<!> event has invalid window
Octane: WARNING: only node-materials are supported
Octane: WARNING: only node-textures are supported
<!> event has invalid window
<!> event has invalid window
Octane: WARNING: only node-textures are supported'

when I saw 'event has invalid window' I tried changing the render choice to 'new window', but still the same message:

'waiting for image'
r4ytrace
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby r4ytrace » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:12 pm

r4ytrace Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:12 pm
do I maybe have to open it and leave it open for 5 minutes or so to make sure liveDB is fully updated or something?
r4ytrace
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby r4ytrace » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:19 pm

r4ytrace Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:19 pm
will I try deactivating and reactivating my Octane Blender account ?
r4ytrace
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JimStar » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:23 pm

JimStar Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:23 pm
r4ytrace wrote:do I maybe have to open it and leave it open for 5 minutes or so to make sure liveDB is fully updated or something?

You should start the OctaneServer, and it will be fully workable after caching the LiveDB data during startup. So, if you start it for the first time (or if you send the activation login/pass to it) - it will take some more time as it will cache all the material preview images. It depends on your internet connection speed, on my system it takes about 5 minutes after the first start. All subsequent OctaneServer starts - will cache only materials tree, so it should take just some seconds during startup...

If you get "Waiting for image..." message in this new version - it means that the server is successfully activated, and the problem is in something other (as otherwise you would get activation error messages both in console and in viewport). Perhaps your GPU drivers are not up-to-date?.. Or the scene does not fit into GPU's memory?.. Or the scene does not have visible geometry?..
Try please to update GPU drivers first...
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby JimStar » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:33 pm

JimStar Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:33 pm
rattle-snake
The particles mostly work, but some configurations may not work at the time. For example Octane engine does not support Hair rendering so far (but nevertheless you can render hair using this plugin, just using other, non-hair type particles configuration)...
Just report here exact cases where something does not work for you (better with .blend scenes) - and I will work on fixing it little by little...;)
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby dafassi » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:55 pm

dafassi Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:55 pm
JimStar wrote:
dafassi wrote:And there is a request.
Could you give us a checkbox "automatic smooth on/off" for materials?
Because all materials are smooth, and when i use ie glass on a mesh i often have to disable smooth to have the right optic.
For me personal it would be better if smooth generaly is disabled.
I think its a material-setting and need to be overwritten by a script or so.
What does the other poeple say?

The problem is - the nodes are static template data inside Blender, and they have default values hardcoded inside the templates (which are registered during Blender startup)... It is how Blender works from inside at the time, and I'm trying to change the Blender generic internals as little as possible...
I've seen that Blender developers started the work on dynamic nodes, and I tried to use them first - but I was forced to return to static nodes, as so far dynamic nodes are absolutely unusable, as they do not let to implement all the features which Octane nodes need.
But I will think about what we can do with it...

Okay- its not that hard problem, i think you could spend more time in fixing that all nodes are on one point- each over the other- when loaded a material :D

dafassi wrote:For your info:
Just clicking the "Get Item"-button is not right. 1st we have to add a standard-material to an object.
If this is done "Get Item" will work- before nothing will happen ;).

Can you please explain it a little further?.. Perhaps some examples - how you want it should work?..;)

Sure! When i create an object, iE a cube, it does not have any material. By clicking the "Get Item" Button nothing happens. I have to use the standard-blender-button to add a new blender material. When this is done -> "Get Item" will work.
The optimal way would be: Create mesh, load material from database, RENDER ;)
WIN7 64bit • 32GB DDR5 RAM • Intel i7 6x4GHz • GeForce GTX780 • Blender
dafassi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JimStar » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:00 pm

JimStar Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:00 pm
dafassi
Got it.;)
Will see what can be done...
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby r4ytrace » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:20 am

r4ytrace Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:20 am
JimStar wrote:You should start the OctaneServer, and it will be fully workable after caching the LiveDB data during startup. So, if you start it for the first time (or if you send the activation login/pass to it) - it will take some more time as it will cache all the material preview images. It depends on your internet connection speed, on my system it takes about 5 minutes after the first start. All subsequent OctaneServer starts - will cache only materials tree, so it should take just some seconds during startup...

If you get "Waiting for image..." message in this new version - it means that the server is successfully activated, and the problem is in something other (as otherwise you would get activation error messages both in console and in viewport). Perhaps your GPU drivers are not up-to-date?.. Or the scene does not fit into GPU's memory?.. Or the scene does not have visible geometry?..
Try please to update GPU drivers first...

OK I'll try updating my GeForce driver though I think I'm at the highest 'official' version atm (326.80). I'll also try leaving open for a while before trying to render. Well the scene I'm using to test is literally the default cube o_O - so I sincerely hope that will fit in my Video Ram, it would probably even fit in a Voodoo2 12MB :).

I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling again too. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for your quick responses.
r4ytrace
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby r4ytrace » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:48 am

r4ytrace Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:48 am
unfortunately after doing the above I'm still getting 'waiting for image' error/hang:

Console output:

'Octane: WARNING: only node-materials are supported
Octane: WARNING: only node-textures are supported'

Yet I clearly have the material set up as Octane Render node material:
(see screenshot below):

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/6607/4v.gif
r4ytrace
Licensed Customer