Wish: Export SELECTED objects to OCS/ORBX

Forums: Wish: Export SELECTED objects to OCS/ORBX
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Wish: Export SELECTED objects to OCS/ORBX

Postby lance_uppercut » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:43 pm

lance_uppercut Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:43 pm
I really like Octane Standalone for its stability and speed, and I find it much easier to set up multiple render outputs and complex scenes in Standalone. Sketchup is great for architectural modeling, but is pretty weak in scene management, and architecture scenes can involve many different options, environments, different kernel settings for interior and exterior, etc. So I generally assemble scenes in Octane using OBJ files that I export from Sketchup.

However, it would be much better if I could simply select some geometry and export it to an OCS or ORBX file and drop it in to Standalone. I think the only change that would be necessary would be to create an option to export just the current selection, and also to produce an OCS/ORBX graph that includes an output linker node, possibly without including kernel, imager, render target, etc. At present, the only workaround is to open the node graph, locate the geometry nodes you want (tougher in large scenes), and save them manually.

I feel like the big strength of OCS as a scene format is that it's easy to compose node graphs together, combining the output of different DCC software. So this kind of export option would be valuable in ALL the DCC plugins, so one could bring landscape, props, and vegetation in from Blender, and building / millwork from Archicad or Sketchup. In some sense, it's a (much simpler) version of what USD allows. Would like to know other people's thoughts on this!
lance_uppercut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Wish: Export SELECTED objects to OCS/ORBX

Postby BK » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:17 am

BK Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:17 am
lance_uppercut wrote:I really like Octane Standalone for its stability and speed, and I find it much easier to set up multiple render outputs and complex scenes in Standalone. Sketchup is great for architectural modeling, but is pretty weak in scene management, and architecture scenes can involve many different options, environments, different kernel settings for interior and exterior, etc. So I generally assemble scenes in Octane using OBJ files that I export from Sketchup.

However, it would be much better if I could simply select some geometry and export it to an OCS or ORBX file and drop it in to Standalone. I think the only change that would be necessary would be to create an option to export just the current selection, and also to produce an OCS/ORBX graph that includes an output linker node, possibly without including kernel, imager, render target, etc. At present, the only workaround is to open the node graph, locate the geometry nodes you want (tougher in large scenes), and save them manually.

I feel like the big strength of OCS as a scene format is that it's easy to compose node graphs together, combining the output of different DCC software. So this kind of export option would be valuable in ALL the DCC plugins, so one could bring landscape, props, and vegetation in from Blender, and building / millwork from Archicad or Sketchup. In some sense, it's a (much simpler) version of what USD allows. Would like to know other people's thoughts on this!

Hi Lance,

Thanks for the feedback.

Just confirming if you are using the latest builds of OctaneRender for SU!
We support native SU's Tags and Outliner so we export the geometries that are visible in the scene.
Have you tried exporting the .ocs or orbx formats from the Extensions menu >Octane>Export to .ocs/orbx?
This way you can directly open your scene into Standalone.

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to SketchUp