Materials wizard?

Forums: Materials wizard?
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Materials wizard?

Postby Sheiken » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:21 pm

Sheiken Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:21 pm
I would like a Skm to Octane materials wizard. How about you?
I think 9/10 SketchUppers a mainly doing architectural visulaiation, so 9/10 materials are easily converted. We use SketchUp because we like the simplicity, so we will like that same simplicity in the plugin. We do not nesessarily want to know how to setup a metalic carpaint shader in the node based editor the 1/10 times we need it, but need to get the job done.
So, how about adding some material types to the conversions with "layman settings";
Wood (could maby set the wood texture in the bump and specular for and set the index right, and would try to get that subtle difference in reflectivity of the wood grain at low grazing angles) (Could have an option of: untreated, oiled, satin, glossy, polished)
Car Paint
Metal
Architectural Glass
Plastic
Rubber
Foilage or Leaf
... maybe some others to add here?

After conversion with the wizard you could then tweak the setting in the editor with less fuss, without setting all nodes separately and looking up correct index of refraction for the materials.
With SketchUp is not about what you can do with it, but about what YOU can do with it.
Sheiken
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Materials wizard?

Postby tetrochuan » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:25 pm

tetrochuan Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:25 pm
hi there,

well we have the live material database which has lots of stuff to take a look at and learn ..
on the other hand material system of octane is nice and simple as it is?! if you play around a bit you get the glimpse fast!

i would like to see some workflow enhancements and speed tricks incorporated first before anything completely new arrives!
win7 ultimate 64bit | intel i7-3930k @ 42x100 | asus p9x79 pro | 32 gb ddr3-1600 | 3x780ti @ 1ghz | 2x asus proart pa246 24" | main hdd ocz vertex 4 | some mice keyboard and a wacom intuos4
tetrochuan
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby resmas » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:21 pm

resmas Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:21 pm
Sheiken wrote:I would like a Skm to Octane materials wizard. How about you?
I think 9/10 SketchUppers a mainly doing architectural visulaiation, so 9/10 materials are easily converted. We use SketchUp because we like the simplicity, so we will like that same simplicity in the plugin. We do not nesessarily want to know how to setup a metalic carpaint shader in the node based editor the 1/10 times we need it, but need to get the job done.
So, how about adding some material types to the conversions with "layman settings";
Wood (could maby set the wood texture in the bump and specular for and set the index right, and would try to get that subtle difference in reflectivity of the wood grain at low grazing angles) (Could have an option of: untreated, oiled, satin, glossy, polished)
Car Paint
Metal
Architectural Glass
Plastic
Rubber
Foilage or Leaf
... maybe some others to add here?

After conversion with the wizard you could then tweak the setting in the editor with less fuss, without setting all nodes separately and looking up correct index of refraction for the materials.
With SketchUp is not about what you can do with it, but about what YOU can do with it.

Hello mate. The easy way to do it for now is open StandAlone create/tweek the default materials that you like (as many as you whant)and then save the file. Then in Skecthup you only need to open material editor and load .ocs materials.

Cheers
resmas
i7-2600k | SSD Vertex 3 | WD Velociraptor | WS Revolution | 16GB Ram HyperX | PSU LEPA G1600W | 3 X Asus GTX590 |
https://pt-pt.facebook.com/arq.resmas
resmas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby tetrochuan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:01 am

tetrochuan Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:01 am
@resmas - nice tip!

thanks
win7 ultimate 64bit | intel i7-3930k @ 42x100 | asus p9x79 pro | 32 gb ddr3-1600 | 3x780ti @ 1ghz | 2x asus proart pa246 24" | main hdd ocz vertex 4 | some mice keyboard and a wacom intuos4
tetrochuan
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby fuzzybro » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:39 am

fuzzybro Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:39 am
Hi Sheiken,

I thought about this when just started building SU plugin.
Quick answer: it's tricky and complicated.

I'd recommend having a library of materials in .ocs format that one can easily import to SU plugin for a quick and fast use. As resmas described, it's easier to adjust materials in Standalone since it has visual node graph.

Cheers
fuzzybro
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to SketchUp