Disco ball light beams

Forums: Disco ball light beams
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Disco ball light beams

Postby DoggoLoco » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:29 am

DoggoLoco Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:29 am
Hello everyone !

In my current project I am making a 3D poster with a disco ball and I try to replicate the effect that can be seen on the youtube video below

I tried to replicate the light beams with the Glare post effect but I'm not totaly satisfied
I also tried to add a fog volume but obviously the fog take effect on the entire poster and its not good

Here is the result on a black BG : its okay but in my poster with all the other elements the light streaks are barely visible

otoy_exemple.png

Is there other ways that you can think about to replicate the light beams effects ?
Maybe some fake light beams techniques ?
(I don't care about the light dots on the walls)

Thank you !
DoggoLoco
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Disco ball light beams

Postby frankmci » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:49 pm

frankmci Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:49 pm
A fairly simple way to fake it is by adding a cluster of volumetric spotlights at the origin of the rays. Here I've done it quickly with a cloner, but for more control, you can place them individually. Some depth of field would also soften the near edges of the rays.
Attachments
MirrorBallRays.png
Fake Disco Ball Rays
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby DoggoLoco » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:59 pm

DoggoLoco Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:59 pm
Thank you ! It is a great idea, I tried it, it works but I cant seem to have much light at the base of the cones like in your picture.

Also the light does not take into account objects that should "break the cone" of medium light.
Anyway I need to render an animation and I think it will cost too much memory so I'm still gonna try it and we'll see.

I know that I have to make choices haha I can't have everything at the same time.

I tried something that quite works too with the Glare post effect I just put a little square area light, onto the disco ball, shining directly into the camera and it makes great and powerfull glares.

Thanks again for the great tip !
DoggoLoco
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby skientia » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:18 pm

skientia Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:18 pm
A demo made a while ago with Photon Tracing Kernel (taken from this page).
What's reflecting on the disco ball are the rays that went through the glass "lens" sphere, then reflected on a mirror plane, not even direct rays which makes it more impressive.

The cube has a height of 2 meters, for reference.

A free informative resource for everyone
SKIENTIA.CO/OCTANE
skientia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D