Specular issue!

Forums: Specular issue!
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Specular issue!

Postby Aymeric_FX » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:22 am

Aymeric_FX Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:22 am
Hey guys, I have a glass bottle in my project that is giving off a horrible effect from the specular highlights and I can't seem to fix it.

I've got an Octane Daylight Rig as my main sound of light in the scene. The bottle is a default specular with some sub surface scattering applied to it.

I upped the sample rate to something absurd like 100,000 samples, path tracing + static noise + adaptive sampling of 50,000 samples and its still flickering / shimmering like crazy.

I've currently got my X-Particles condesation rig applied to the bottle exterior with a specular material with a slight roughness applied to it.

Any ideas on what could help?

Video attached
Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] specular_issue.mp4 [ 178.41 KiB | Viewed 725 times ]

Aymeric_FX
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Specular issue!

Postby elsksa » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:52 pm

elsksa Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:52 pm
Hi,

• Mentioned valued are excessively high. This Octane Sampling Guide should help.

• Light Sample Rate isn't a sampling parameter. There is a section on this page about it.

• Glass bottles typically shouldn't require SSS. Glass thickness is achievable via dense glass material.
What's the bottle reference?

• Worth mentioning that the "shimmering" effect is also noticeable in reality under some conditions.

A screen-grab would be welcomed for those who can't download.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Specular issue!

Postby boxfx » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:13 pm

boxfx Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:13 pm
There's not going to be much we can do from that video, upload a scene somewhere, just strip off anything confidential.

Otherwise stuff like this is often caused by excessively tiny material details like a noise scaled down to a fraction of a mm, or very tiny light sources. Either that or the condensation is intersecting badly with the glass bottle.

One quick thing to try is adding 1 or 2 zeroes to the ray epsilon in octane kernel settings.
boxfx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D