Scene scale effect on noise resolution

Forums: Scene scale effect on noise resolution
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Scene scale effect on noise resolution

Postby jessestormer » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:55 pm

jessestormer Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:55 pm
I accidentally began my scene at the wrong scale (100x too large)
But, it lead me to an interesting discovery... scene scale has an effect on material noise resolution? (Octane noise, not c4d Noise)
I had built a really nice material (below) where I liked the detail and could to some tight macro shots.
noise resolution_high.png
noise @ 100x scene scale

But -- Then I got to a point where I'm like okay... let's scale this scene properly -- so I change the scale down by 100x (for the sake of matching real-world values, if I need to track things into footage, matching F-stop, etc.)
But, to my surprise... I couldn't even modify the material to have the level of detail that it had in the larger scene.
low resolution noise.png
noise @ 1x scene scale

It's like it just can't have the same material resolution.

So my question is... can I have accurate real-world scale on my scene, AND retain this level of fidelity in materials?

Thank you in advance!
jessestormer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Scene scale effect on noise resolution

Postby frankmci » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:05 pm

frankmci Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:05 pm
Yes, you can. Just make sure your texture projection and scale are appropriate for the scale you are woring. Here is a 10 cm cube with an approximation of your texture using Octane Noise. Here I'm using XYZ to UVW projection and a uniform scale of 0.03. I've also tweaked the noise output with an Octane Gradient and set the Bump value to 0.0003. Properly adjusted, it will look the same at 1 cm.
Attachments
smallbumps.png
Small Scale Bumps
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D