non-pbr materials

Forums: non-pbr materials
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

non-pbr materials

Postby Aymeric_FX » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:18 pm

Aymeric_FX Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:18 pm
Hey guys, I bought a model off turbosquid recently and the material setup is really odd. It's not PBR which has been my workflow for years and I've never seen anything like it. I assume its either Blender / Unity based but unsure.

In the textures folder there are random super colourful materials that end in either asg_control or mask_control. The UV mapping is perfect, just there is no albedo maps, roughness etc apart from a normal map.

Tried messing around with the node setups but wasn't able to nail anything, any ideas?
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-11-21 181747.png
Aymeric_FX
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: non-pbr materials

Postby frankmci » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:23 pm

frankmci Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:23 pm
It looks like various gray scale textures have been combined into RGB images for efficiency. Try using the Channel Picker node to assign individual channels to various material attributes. It shouldn't be too difficult to figure out. If you don't mind juggling a lot more nodes, you may want to simply export the color channels to new grayscale image files.

This is the sort of thing were a "notes" field in the Basic tab of each node would be handy. Any chance of that feature, Ahmet?
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: non-pbr materials

Postby Aymeric_FX » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:01 am

Aymeric_FX Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:01 am
Aymeric_FX wrote:Hey guys, I bought a model off turbosquid recently and the material setup is really odd. It's not PBR which has been my workflow for years and I've never seen anything like it. I assume its either Blender / Unity based but unsure.

In the textures folder there are random super colourful materials that end in either asg_control or mask_control. The UV mapping is perfect, just there is no albedo maps, roughness etc apart from a normal map.

Tried messing around with the node setups but wasn't able to nail anything, any ideas?

thanks for that. Sounds complicated but I'll have a go.

I just downloaded blender as the model had a blender file inside an opened it and it was all connected and perfect. Still new to Blender (I'm a native C4D user hence why I posted in this forum) so unsure how they did it, but the material setup is unlike anything I've seen. Would be great if Octane had an option to deal with materials of this sort (unless there is already just no idea what to search for).

edit:

just got sent a model from a studio that has the same type of textures. They are a blender-based studio. Look at these textures what the
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-11-22 091305.png
Aymeric_FX
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D