Lines with small bumps

Forums: Lines with small bumps
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Lines with small bumps

Postby boxfx » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:01 am

boxfx Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:01 am
Can anyone explain why this happens and how to avoid it? This should be a simple flat plane with a rough scratchy black plastic material. It mostly works but at some angles it looks as if theres a large grid running over the the entire object.

lines.jpg

The lines are aligned with the flat projected material, however the size and spacing of the bands does not match the square projected texture, plus its an octane noise so there should be no repeating issues. I cant shrink the projection with an octane projection nodes because as we all know by now octane handles small bumps very poorly (might be fixed in 2023 maybe)

octane 2022.1.1 R5
c4d R26.107
gf 3090

c4d file attached.
Attachments
lines.zip
(68.94 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
boxfx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Lines with small bumps

Postby renderingz » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:33 pm

renderingz Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:33 pm
You're projecting the texture using a cubic projection on the texture tag, that is so so small (0.05cm) that what you're seeing is the renderer trying to filter those tiny tiny tiny bumps. Fit your projection to the object and then adjust the scale of the noise with a transform node to get where you want.
Win `10/ Cinema 4D R17 / 2 x 780 GTX 6GB + 2 x 980ti
renderingz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby boxfx » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:25 pm

boxfx Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:25 pm
But scaling bumpmaps down via the node system completely wrecks how the look in renders.

Here's my original render
c4dscaled.jpg

Here I have scaled my c4d projection up 10x and scaled down the bump in the octane node 10x
scale mid.jpg

And heres 100x larger in c4d (50cm wide) and 100x smaller in the octane node
octanescale.jpg

Wrecked would be putting it mildly.

Also the scale isnt really that small, I have c4d set to work in mm as the base unit instead of the default cm, so effectively to the render engine its like I have the bump scaled at 0.5cm which is well within the realm of sensible scales.

Here's the irony. If I scale my c4d flat projection up to the full width of the object, lets say 200x larger. convert that to uvw mapping, then in the texture tag in the object manager I set the uv scale down to 0.5, this will often look the same as the original, but with no lines. It works 90% of the time, but 10% of the time it looks slightly different but still bad. Im trying to work out if im fundamentally doing something wrong or if theres a better way. Scaling noises for bumps in octanes node system is 100% no-go because it universally looks like junk.
boxfx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby DinoMuhic » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:13 pm

DinoMuhic Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:13 pm
boxfx wrote:But scaling bumpmaps down via the node system completely wrecks how the look in renders.

Here's my original render
c4dscaled.jpg

Here I have scaled my c4d projection up 10x and scaled down the bump in the octane node 10x
scale mid.jpg

And heres 100x larger in c4d (50cm wide) and 100x smaller in the octane node
octanescale.jpg

Wrecked would be putting it mildly.

Also the scale isnt really that small, I have c4d set to work in mm as the base unit instead of the default cm, so effectively to the render engine its like I have the bump scaled at 0.5cm which is well within the realm of sensible scales.

Here's the irony. If I scale my c4d flat projection up to the full width of the object, lets say 200x larger. convert that to uvw mapping, then in the texture tag in the object manager I set the uv scale down to 0.5, this will often look the same as the original, but with no lines. It works 90% of the time, but 10% of the time it looks slightly different but still bad. Im trying to work out if im fundamentally doing something wrong or if theres a better way. Scaling noises for bumps in octanes node system is 100% no-go because it universally looks like junk.

I looked into this.

Its just a gamma issue :D

I am pretty sure if you use the projection in the Tag its converting the noise to sRGB, while if you use just nodes in the octane material, its still linear.
If I apply a color correction node to the one I mapped with a projection node and scaled down via a transform node and set the gamma to 2.2 I get the same look you are after
DinoMuhic
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby DinoMuhic » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:25 pm

DinoMuhic Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:25 pm
sorry forgot the file
Attachments
lines_0001.zip
(68.12 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
DinoMuhic
Licensed Customer