Image Texture Node missing C4D's "Copy Assets to Project"

Forums: Image Texture Node missing C4D's "Copy Assets to Project"
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Image Texture Node missing C4D's "Copy Assets to Project"

Postby zomtech » Wed May 04, 2022 10:39 am

zomtech Wed May 04, 2022 10:39 am
I posted this in the Facebook group and was made aware that I should use this forum as FB is not an official feedback channel.

When I create a material and add an image texture node, it immediately opens a search file window and prompts me to select a texture. So far so good.
When I select a texture, it creates an ABSOLUTE path to said texture. In older octane version this automatic search file window wasn't a thing and you had to press the "..." first.

My problem is, that this behavior prevents C4D from asking if I want to copy my assets to the project structure. Standard C4D behavior is a prompt that asks me if I want to copy the texture to the "tex" folder -> if I deny this, it creates and absolute path.

Absolut paths might make sense for global resources that are used in many projects, e.g HDRI files, surface imperfections, etc.
But there are dozens of cases where one would need customized, specific texture maps for a project and it would be beneficial to copy them to the projects TEX folder. But even if I copy the texture to the TEX folder manually and select it in that automatic dialogue, it creates an absolute path to that texture.

I know this was implemented to save some time, but I talked to some users, many just click on the "..." option again, select the same texture to get the normal C4D prompt that asks to copy the assets. Others just don't use that feature at all and copy everything to the TEX folder manually... or they drag and drop the files from an explorer window that they have always open on a secondary screen. This could all be prevented if octane wouldn't just override / suppress the C4D prompt that asks to copy the files.

TL;DR, a video:

Also, for those who only use absolute paths and wonder why I want an relative path:
If I copy that project to a new drive, change the name or location of the project I have to go through every material or use the octane texture manager to fix all the path names.... it's very crucial to use relative paths.
Windows 10 | 1x 4090, 4x 3090 | 13900K | 128Gb
zomtech
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Image Texture Node missing C4D's "Copy Assets to Project"

Postby champton » Fri May 06, 2022 5:37 am

champton Fri May 06, 2022 5:37 am
I wrote a script to fix this issue you're talking about, if you'd like i can share it with you.

It will go through every material in your project, every node, and search for image textures. Then, it will copy those files to a projects local folder, and fix the reference in every image texture.

Let me know!
champton
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby jayroth2020 » Fri May 06, 2022 4:47 pm

jayroth2020 Fri May 06, 2022 4:47 pm
That sounds very helpful! Can you post here?
CaseLabs Mercury S8 / ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS / Crucial 64GB 2133 DDR4 / 2 XEON E5-2687W v3 3.1 GHz / EVGA 1600 P2 / 1 EVGA RTX 3090Ti FTW3 Hybrid / 2 EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid/ Cinema 4D
jayroth2020
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby aoktar » Fri May 06, 2022 10:49 pm

aoktar Fri May 06, 2022 10:49 pm
"create a copy at the project path" window is not a plugin related function. It's automatically provided by C4D, and I don't know a way to call it from plugin side. Other than this I'll change the behavior of creating absolute paths on creating the images on creation. It's simply a missing functionality in this section.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby zomtech » Sat May 07, 2022 8:36 am

zomtech Sat May 07, 2022 8:36 am
aoktar wrote:"create a copy at the project path" window is not a plugin related function. It's automatically provided by C4D, and I don't know a way to call it from plugin side. Other than this I'll change the behavior of creating absolute paths on creating the images on creation. It's simply a missing functionality in this section.

Thank you! <3
zomtech
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby zomtech » Sat May 07, 2022 8:37 am

zomtech Sat May 07, 2022 8:37 am
champton wrote:I wrote a script to fix this issue you're talking about, if you'd like i can share it with you.

It will go through every material in your project, every node, and search for image textures. Then, it will copy those files to a projects local folder, and fix the reference in every image texture.

Let me know!

That would be awesome! Can you post it here so everyone can use it? :)
zomtech
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby champton » Sun May 08, 2022 3:23 am

champton Sun May 08, 2022 3:23 am
jayroth2020 wrote:That sounds very helpful! Can you post here?

zomtech wrote:That would be awesome! Can you post it here so everyone can use it? :)

Got you. I uploaded it here to Gumroad as a free download.
https://bluntaction.gumroad.com/l/fiximagetextures

Let me know if it works for you!

Btw zomtech, I'm a huge fan of your work.
champton
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pxlntwrk » Tue May 10, 2022 9:01 am

pxlntwrk Tue May 10, 2022 9:01 am
Hi,
many thx for that, very helpful !
:::::::::::::::::
pxlntwrk.net
pxlntwrk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ceen » Thu May 12, 2022 10:10 am

ceen Thu May 12, 2022 10:10 am
aoktar wrote:"create a copy at the project path" window is not a plugin related function. It's automatically provided by C4D, and I don't know a way to call it from plugin side. Other than this I'll change the behavior of creating absolute paths on creating the images on creation. It's simply a missing functionality in this section.

If possible please give use a tick box or pop up to choose which one we want. Many people constantly switch between the two
ceen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby boxfx » Fri May 13, 2022 1:36 pm

boxfx Fri May 13, 2022 1:36 pm
champton wrote:
jayroth2020 wrote:That sounds very helpful! Can you post here?

zomtech wrote:That would be awesome! Can you post it here so everyone can use it? :)

Got you. I uploaded it here to Gumroad as a free download.
https://bluntaction.gumroad.com/l/fiximagetextures

Let me know if it works for you!

Btw zomtech, I'm a huge fan of your work.

Is there an idiots guide on how to use this? If I add it to R25's plugins folder, nothing shows up under plugins or in the commander. The script editor remains blank.
boxfx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D