Enabling post pass causes the post effects to vanish in LV?

Forums: Enabling post pass causes the post effects to vanish in LV?
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Enabling post pass causes the post effects to vanish in LV?

Postby ajuk3d » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:50 pm

ajuk3d Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:50 pm
If I enable the Post pass in Beauty Passes, I can see that my post effects get disabled in the live viewer, as if they were turned off on my camera. Why does this happen? It's not like enabling the Diffuse pass turns off the Diffuse pass in the live viewer so why does Post get affected? I want to see my cool post processing bloom and glare!

R21.207
Octane 2020.1-R5
ajuk3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Enabling post pass causes the post effects to vanish in LV?

Postby aoktar » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:57 pm

aoktar Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:57 pm
Not sure what you mean but post effect is a separate pass and surely will not be contributed to any other passes. Because activating passes that mean you'll combine the passes in a comp. software.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby ajuk3d » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:32 am

ajuk3d Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:32 am
aoktar wrote:Not sure what you mean but post effect is a separate pass and surely will not be contributed to any other passes. Because activating passes that mean you'll combine the passes in a comp. software.

Yeah I've already gone through compositing with passes before, including the Post effects pass. I don't have a problem with anything relating to compositing or rendering - I'm only talking about the Live Viewer. The problem is that literally the moment I click the button to enable the Post pass under Beauty Passes, any post processing effects enabled by a camera will literally disappear from the Live Viewer. It makes absolutely no sense. That's what my problem is. Clicking the Post pass shouldn't be disabling post effects in my live viewer.
ajuk3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:33 am

bepeg4d Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:33 am
Why not?
If you enable the Multi Pass, with Post effect as separate pass, it means that you need a Beauty pass without Post Effect to add it in a second time, isn’t it?

It’s the same for Motion Blur, if you enable the InfoChannel Motion Vector pass, it means that you want a Beauty pass without Motion Blur, to add in post.

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby aoktar » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:14 pm

aoktar Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:14 pm
Passes are just for render out. keeping passes are activated while working in LV that causes performance loss. I'll add a switch for LV to enable/disable passes. It's best for the purpose.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby ajuk3d » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:35 am

ajuk3d Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:35 am
bepeg4d wrote:Why not?
If you enable the Multi Pass, with Post effect as separate pass, it means that you need a Beauty pass without Post Effect to add it in a second time, isn’t it?

It’s the same for Motion Blur, if you enable the InfoChannel Motion Vector pass, it means that you want a Beauty pass without Motion Blur, to add in post.

ciao Beppe

I think I get what you're saying. When I turn on Post pass, I never actually meant that I want Octane to render out the Beauty with the Post Effects merged into one image, because obviously that doesn't make sense like you stated - I'd have to render out both passes again but separately. What I'm trying to say is that I want the best of both worlds where I want Post effects rendered as a separate pass but I also want to see it anyways while I am working with the live viewer. Of course the answer would be, "just leave the Post pass off while you are working with the live viewer so you can see your nice post effects and then enable it when you finally want to render." but I don't want to have to remember to do that / or bother doing it - I feel like I shouldn't have to. I know that I want Post Effects to be rendered out as a separate pass because I clicked the Post pass button so just let me see my Beauty AND my post effects in the live viewer even though I have post effects set to render as a separate pass. It's convenient to just set it and forget it before I start working on my scene. Why stop me from seeing my Post Effects.

I apologize if I've misunderstood you or missed a reason that would be a problem caused by turning on Post pass from the get go. Unless this is actually a bug and not intentional then sorry for explaining something that was obvious.
ajuk3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D