DoF doesn't always work as it should?

Forums: DoF doesn't always work as it should?
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Re: DoF doesn't always work as it should?

Postby pgatsky » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:17 pm

pgatsky Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:17 pm
Brilliant thank you aoktar.
pgatsky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:22 pm

aoktar Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:22 pm
Take a look to this new build. DOF picking improved with a better selection.
viewtopic.php?f=85&t=74130
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby pgatsky » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:42 pm

pgatsky Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:42 pm
Hi all

Thinking that this had been resolved I was wrong. As you can see from the screen shots and attached file im still having problems with dof in octane. On one of the screen shots you'll see that ive also added a null to indicate where the focal point should be but it still doesn't work. I think this is bug in the software as its an intermittent issue, or otherwise Im hoping that someone can shed some light on this file and let me know what im doing wrong.

Thanks

PG
Attachments
dof2.PNG
dof1.PNG
dof problem again.zip
(5.89 MiB) Downloaded 119 times
pgatsky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:51 pm

frankmci Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:51 pm
I'm not sure what it is, but you seem to have borked your scene file somehow. Even brand new cameras with a zero aperture can't focus properly. If you copy/paste everything into a new scene, it should work properly.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pgatsky » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:10 pm

pgatsky Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:10 pm
Thanks frankmci.

Yeah thats how I have to get round the problem every time, its bizarre. I honestly dont know how its doing it cause its happened now a couple of times which is why i wonder if its a bug? The file can be working correctly one minute then it can just happen and not sure whats triggering it but as you say even adding a brand new camera doesn't fix it.

Maybe if any of the dev people at OTOY are seeing this message then perhaps then can delve into the file ive uploaded and see if there is a reason why this is happening? As you suggested too the only way to get round it is to copy all the parts into a new file which corrects the problem.

PG
pgatsky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:19 pm

frankmci Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:19 pm
I went back to look at your scene again. The problem is that the Filter Size in your Direct Lighting Kernel is set to 5 pixels. Usually 1.2 -1.5 is plenty.

I know how frustrating it can be when you keep overlooking that one little checkbox or setting somewhere. :)
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:51 pm

aoktar Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:51 pm
frankmci wrote:I went back to look at your scene again. The problem is that the Filter Size in your Direct Lighting Kernel is set to 5 pixels. Usually 1.2 -1.5 is plenty.

I know how frustrating it can be when you keep overlooking that one little checkbox or setting somewhere. :)

Nice! I don't think there's mysterious problems for DOF selections with the latest build. It has improved pick point selection for complex cases. I'm still improving picking operation for material/copy/paste/drop operation in LV.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby pgatsky » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:08 pm

pgatsky Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:08 pm
Thanks guys for your responses very helpful.

So the direct kernel setting can have that impact then if set too high? I'll bear that in mind in future though so thanks for highlighting.

Ive just updated to the new 2020 version as saw a vid the other day showing the improvement in the dirt node which is also something I was looking at although not related to this issue at all.

Aoktar - You recommend that I try the new 2020 version and gave me a link to the downloads. It mentions that this version shouldn't really be used for production purposes so I just wanted to check to see if the stability is still an issue? Or do you think its now at a place where it should be the main source for downloading?
pgatsky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:16 pm

frankmci Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:16 pm
pgatsky wrote:Thanks guys for your responses very helpful.
So the direct kernel setting can have that impact then if set too high? I'll bear that in mind in future though so thanks for highlighting.

Yes, think of the Filter Size as a blur filter with a radius of X pixels. It's really just to help eliminate some subtle aliasing artifacts, like on sharp edges with strong specular highlights, or funky moire patterns on a window screen, that sort of thing. That's why you only need it to be a little over 1 to soften those blocky edges. The default is 1.2. When in doubt, there's a "reset" option under Settings, as well as Presets, where you can save your favorite configurations.
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D