Octane Scatter with VDBs

Forums: Octane Scatter with VDBs
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Octane Scatter with VDBs

Postby noisyboyuk » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:38 pm

noisyboyuk Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:38 pm
Hi!

I know this has been asked before but the response I read was a little confusing and after trying what was suggested it didn't seem to work for me so I thought I'd raise the topic again.

I have created a load of VDB clouds in Houdini and I want to use them to wrap a load of them around a sphere in C4D for clouds as viewed from space.

So basically I want to clone my clouds around a sphere but I would really like to instance them with Octane Scatter. I tried throwing a VDB into Scatter and chose my sphere as the surface but nothing gets rendered by Scatter. I think I can do this with C4D's cloner but Scatter is so much faster with it instancing on the GPU.

Is it just that it isn't implemented or is there a technical reason why VDB's wouldn't work with instancing (or am I just doing something wrong)?

Kraig.
noisyboyuk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane Scatter with VDBs

Postby aoktar » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:33 pm

aoktar Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:33 pm
noisyboyuk wrote:Is it just that it isn't implemented or is there a technical reason why VDB's wouldn't work with instancing (or am I just doing something wrong)?

Scatter object is just for polygonal primitives by design. Btw cloning by cloner the vdbs that should be fast enough if you're using vdb files. Because Octane's internal engine should do a good work to clone the same vdb files.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D