VR lens choice and eye distance

Forums: VR lens choice and eye distance
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

VR lens choice and eye distance

Postby basdumoulin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:07 pm

basdumoulin Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:07 pm
Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to read this:

Question 1:
I am trying to understand VR rendering and there are some useful tutorials on cineversity and whatnot, but I can´t find too much info on what mm lens to choose or how to deal with eye distance.

As far as I know a human eye equals a 52,5 mm lens. For a realistic approach I´d expect that to be the case for VR as well, however I see ppl use 25mm and also the CV/VR cam uses that same wide angle lens.
In the end it doesn't seem to make a difference when rendering though, is that correct?

2:
When I set a camera up in my scene and decide I am close enough to an object, as soon as I switch to VR rendering it seems like I am miles away (that's an exaggeration - I seem to be farther then I'd like to be). Is this normal?

3:
Since everthing seemed far away (as in question 2) I figured it had to do with the eye distance. I made my scene according to real scale, so I figured I didn't need to change that. But suppose I did have twice the scale, would I just multiply the 0.065 x 2?

thanks in advance.
b a s
basdumoulin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: VR lens choice and eye distance

Postby GIOLETS » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:58 am

GIOLETS Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:58 am
Hi b a s, i try to answer on your question on the base of my experience on VR (I suppose you intend VR 360 stereo images).

1) changing the kind of the lens has no sense because you switch to a 360 angle of view, so this is your lens! You only have to setup the right angle of view in Panoramic section. I usually set 360 degrees in horizontal and 180 in vertical, camera mode spherical, doing that you'll have an equirectagular image

2) with this equirectangular image you have to create your VR in order to see on your device (monitor, VR glasses, etc). To do that you can use specific software like Pano2Vr, Tourveawer, Color Autopano, wtc.
I use KRpano. Inside the software parameters you can decide which will be the angle of view (70-100 degrees) for viewing your scene in VR mode. You'll find the the object that observing the equirectangular image seems far away, will return to a normal view distance. In some specific case, using Oculus browser and VR Gear for example the angle of view is fixed and you can't change because is strictly related to the lens and the building parameters of the glasses.

3) about the eye distance you have no complicated thinking to do, just set the normal human eye distance (0,06 or 0,065) in base of your final viewing experience.

If you are just curious and want to give a look to some VR tour made with Octane try to see here (is optimised to see with Gear VR and Oculus browser, but you can see also with other browser on your smartphone)

http://www.areasana.com/virtualtour/tour.html
i9-10900x, 96GB DDR4, 2xRTX 2080 TI, ASUS X299 SAGE, Windows 10
http://www.visual4d.it
GIOLETS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: VR lens choice and eye distance

Postby basdumoulin » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:38 pm

basdumoulin Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:38 pm
Thank you Giolets,

I will check that software out, although I was trying to fix that in After Effects but I guess that´s not an option - or is it?
(I figured with the acquiry of mettle VR by Adobe, VR in AE would get a lot easier but can't find too much about it yet.

And your work looks awesome! Grazie mille.
b a s
basdumoulin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D