Linear workflow + cameraimager saturate to white

Forums: Linear workflow + cameraimager saturate to white
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Linear workflow + cameraimager saturate to white

Postby jeremyshin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:57 pm

jeremyshin Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:57 pm
Hello there,

Everything was working correctly with my linear workflow between Octane and After Effect until I playes with the Cameraimager "saturate to white".
When I achieve the desired effect in the live viewer, the rendered frames doesn't apply the "saturate to white" effect.

My linear settings are :

- Open EXR with linear color space
- Render Buffer Type : Float (Linear)
- Camera Imager : Gamma 2.2 / Response : Linear
- Render Passes : Image color profile : Linear / Tonemap type : Linear
- After Effect : 32bpc sRGB Linearized

Basically everything worked well until i applied "saturate to white". Because of that I am kind of lost into the settings I have to apply.

Thanks for your help !
Jeremy
jeremyshin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Linear workflow + cameraimager saturate to white

Postby jeremyshin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:26 pm

jeremyshin Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:26 pm
Let me add a few details in the attached screenshots.

Saturate to white doesn't render when I enable "save beauty" in the render passes.

Jeremy
Attachments
2017-08-12_232144.png
Camera imager settings
2017-08-12_232120.png
Octane main settings
2017-08-12_232106.png
Passes settings
Last edited by jeremyshin on Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeremyshin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:58 am

aoktar Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:58 am
Answer is simple: Camera imager will be ignored when you use linear output.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby jeremyshin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:36 am

jeremyshin Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:36 am
Thanks for the answer Aoktar ~

May I ask which output are you talking about ? Because "Linear" appears 5 times in the settings so I'm not sure which one you are talking about.

Also, after many tests, I noticed I could get the desired result by saving the beauty seperately from the render passes (not using the option to save beauty in the render passes) and using the float buffer tonemapped.

It works, my beauty has saturate to white on it and everything appears good in AE. I just dont realy know why and how... I am quite a newbie and all those knowledge, even after reading a lot of stuff, are still pretty complex to me.
jeremyshin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:12 am

bepeg4d Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:12 am
Hi jeremyshin,
saving in tonemapped mode is the key, since it means that the camera imager setting are applied over the linear output before saving.
So, in your case, if you enable the linear output, the camera imager settings are not tonemapped and saved.
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby jeremyshin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:30 pm

jeremyshin Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:30 pm
Thank you Beppe ~
Yes I noticed this by myself meanwhile. haha.
By the way, when I render the beauty inside the render passes settings (render beauty selection), the beauty is not tonemapped.

But anyway I found my workflow. Those informations are not easy to find and understand in the documentation, neither in Dobromir Dyankov's tutorials.

Thank for your patience guys !

Jeremy
jeremyshin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ChrisAngelius » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:37 am

ChrisAngelius Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:37 am
jeremyshin wrote:Thank you Beppe ~
By the way, when I render the beauty inside the render passes settings (render beauty selection), the beauty is not tonemapped.

But anyway I found my workflow. Those informations are not easy to find and understand in the documentation, neither in Dobromir Dyankov's tutorials.

Jeremy

Hey Jeremy,

Could you explain how you're setting it up? I've had the same issues where the documentation does not adequately explain the linear workflow for comp, and like you said Linear appears multiple times throughout the settings, and changing everything to linear means my comp builds don't match my beauty and renders don't match the IPR.
ChrisAngelius
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:47 am

aoktar Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:47 am
ChrisAngelius wrote:Hey Jeremy,
Could you explain how you're setting it up? I've had the same issues where the documentation does not adequately explain the linear workflow for comp, and like you said Linear appears multiple times throughout the settings, and changing everything to linear means my comp builds don't match my beauty and renders don't match the IPR.

Just keep defaults in render settings and select "Render Buffer Type=Float(linear)" and don't try to match results with LV's tonemapped outputs. Change CameraImager response=Linear and gamma=2.2 to get exact results as your compositing output.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby jeremyshin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:28 pm

jeremyshin Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:28 pm
ChrisAngelius wrote:
jeremyshin wrote:Thank you Beppe ~

Jeremy

Hey Jeremy,

If you want you render to appear as in your Live Viewer and if you are using post effect and cameraimager settings you should set :

Render Buffer type = Float (Tonemapped) [Tonemapped actually means cameraimager...]
In your Cameraimager settings : set response to LINEAR and gamma to 2.2

If you use render passes, set everything to LINEAR in the render passes settings

Also save your beauty by the native c4d SAVE area as EXR 32bits. Don't select the "save beauty" option in render passes tab, it won't render with the cameraimager effects.

If you do so, you can work in AE / 32bpc linearized comp with your beauty and passes. Everything will look like your Live viewer.

Jeremy
jeremyshin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D