Compositing work-arounds

Forums: Compositing work-arounds
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Compositing work-arounds

Postby rodross » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:26 pm

rodross Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:26 pm
I know getting a compositing tag to exclude things from certain reflections and light-link (which are the biggest thing missing from Octane so I pray for it constantly) is unlikely to happen in the near future, if at all possible even, however is there anything we can do with the octanesky, or material system?

Example:
Many times I need reflections on the model, but I need an endless floor/BG.

This is fine if the floor isn't reflective because I can use another sky for the backplate and use the matte option the floor. However, it would be nice to have some way to make objects respond to different skies. Say for instance I want the object to get reflections from an HDRI, but the floor to get its reflections from a gradient.

This is something that is needed a LOT in product viz and shots. Unless there's an easy way that I'm missing to get this without rendering twice, one with scene using gradient reflections and one with HDRI reflections and using an object matte to separate, then it's a massive pain to do this very common technique.

It would be nice to have an object, material, or sky that can be linked together. The would be a sky where you can drop objects into an inclusion/exclusion tab. Or have the "matte" option support reflections in some way, like an octane tag with some special option switched on? As I said, this would be really close to the compositing tag in C4D, and if you could do this, then you'd have made the comp tag already. So I'm probably just shit out of luck, but worth asking.

Is there ever going to be a chance of a compositing tag like the C4D one as Octane evolves, or just physically impossible?
Attachments
Glasses-2.png
rodross
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D