render region does not stop to render...

Forums: render region does not stop to render...
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

render region does not stop to render...

Postby Chriz » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:26 am

Chriz Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:26 am
Hi there,

i copied my post prom the "release"-thread, hoping to get an answer.Here is what i wrote a few days ago:

i noticed that rendering in the live viewer a render region, it keeps rendering on and on and on. I dont mean just more samples that for the whole scene as it has been before, i mean it does not stop rendering until i pause it.

Using newest Versions of plugin an Standalone.

I can reproduce this behavior with a simple Cube and daylight scene. DL and PT, set them to 2 samples and with render region it renders to eternity :lol:

Renderregion.jpg

Anyone else? Any suggestions?

Best Chris
http://www.C9W.de - Win10 - Dual E5 2620v3 - Display 1 GTX 1080 / Render 1 3090 RTX - 96 RAM - C4D MSA - C4D Plugin version: current - Standalone: current
Chriz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: render region does not stop to render...

Postby bepeg4d » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:02 am

bepeg4d Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:02 am
Hi Chriz,
quoting from the new v3 features post:
Interactive region rendering
The interactive region rendering via the region render tool has been slightly changed: Any samples calculated for the interactive render region are now counted separately (in squared brackets) and not added to the samples statistics of the film anymore, which caused a lot of confusion in the past.
As a consequence you can now start interactive region rendering any time, even after the maximum samples/pixel have been reached. It will continue rendering up to 256000 region samples/pixel or until stopped.
Another tweak to the region render tool is that when it's disabled, the region rectangle will not be drawn on top of the rendering anymore, while region rendering continues. To disable the interactive region rendering you just click somewhere into the viewport without drawing a new region rectangle while the region rendering tool is enabled.

This is how it works in c4dOctane Live View with a slightly difference, it reduce the number of samples needed by the dimension of the portion.
Non-interactive region rendering
Sometimes people just want (re-)render a subsection of the whole frame and only up to the max. samples settings of the kernel node. For this, we moved the resolution pin from the render target node into a new film settings node and added two additional pins region start and region size. This way you can also define a render region where everything else gets rendered black and which will stop at the max. samples setting.

This is how it works in c4dOctane Picture Viewer. Just like for v2, you can define a portion in the main tab of the Octane render settings.
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby Chriz » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:39 am

Chriz Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:39 am
ok, thanks a lot you for the quote. A change that feels like a bug... :D

For me and my workflow that change with the interactive rr is not really a step forward. What are the advantages of not stopping automatically before a quarter million samples? It stoped at a samplecount that was quite predicable. Now it is somekind of counterintuitive without any context to the set max samples. I have to do one more click each time to stop that region from rendering on and on and heating up my office for samples i don´t need. If i wanted more samples i could set the samples higher.

I am fine with it, i will change my workflow and do this one more click a few times a day, but what are the advantages of not stopping automatically before a quarter million samples? I would really like to know! Thanks in advance! ;)

Best, Chriz
http://www.C9W.de - Win10 - Dual E5 2620v3 - Display 1 GTX 1080 / Render 1 3090 RTX - 96 RAM - C4D MSA - C4D Plugin version: current - Standalone: current
Chriz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:05 am

bepeg4d Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:05 am
Hi Chriz,
I guess that the idea is that you can continue to refine some details even if the render has reached the desired samples when you are il LV, while in PV it behaves as before, reaching the desired sampling level setted in the kernel settings.
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby Chriz » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:24 am

Chriz Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:24 am
Ok, thank you for that answer. Anyway: I now know how it works, and know what to do :D

Do you know something too about this shadowproblem with vdb clouds mentioned by eyeonestudio and me here:

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=54672&start=210

Would be nice to know if it´s a limitation, a bug or a mistake made by stupid users :D

Have a nice day,

Chriz
Chriz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:32 am

bepeg4d Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:32 am
Hi Chriz,
I'm currently looking at it, I will answer you there asap ;)
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby Chriz » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:35 am

Chriz Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:35 am
thanks!
Chriz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D