Maxon and GPU ?

Forums: Maxon and GPU ?
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Maxon and GPU ?

Postby ribrahomedesign » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:17 am

ribrahomedesign Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:17 am
hi there.
has anyone a idee if maxon plans to go GPU ,i havent seen any information on the net ,i am sure the must at least
think about it ?
Rico
Windows 7 , 64 b / GTX 590 / Archicad 15 , 64 b / Cinema 4D R 13 studio , 64b /Intel(R)Core(TM)Extreme3,20Ghz /always latest Octane.
ribrahomedesign
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Maxon and GPU ?

Postby abstrax » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:18 am

abstrax Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:18 am
ribrahomedesign wrote:hi there.
has anyone a idee if maxon plans to go GPU ,i havent seen any information on the net ,i am sure the must at least
think about it ?
Rico

It's like always: If somebody knows, he/she isn't allowed to tell you. Anyone else doesn't know and is just guessing.

My uneducated guess: I don't expect internal GPU rendering being available soon (as in the next 1-2 years), because it's incredibly hard to port a biased render system like the one in CINEMA 4D to OpenCL or CUDA and you would very likely lose functionality, which is no option. The hardware/software is also not there yet, i.e. the technical support would be a nightmare.

Of course, I may be wrong and yes, my crystal ball doesn't tell me anything beyond 2 years... ;)

Cheers,
Marcus
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: Maxon and GPU ?

Postby acc24ex » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:44 pm

acc24ex Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:44 pm
I've been looking for the same info after I softmoded my old 8800 gtx into quadro fx 4600, and for the new c4dr12 there was some support with the quadro cards, but only those of the new generation.. so there is a posibility that it might have some benefit.. but only with new and expensive gpus.. so go do a search on that subject
[size=85]3dmax, zbrush, UE
//Behance profile //BOONAR
//Octane render toolbox 3dsmax
acc24ex
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D