what other modelling stuff do you use?

Forums: what other modelling stuff do you use?
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Re: what other modelling stuff do you use?

Postby Ayertosco » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Ayertosco Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:20 pm
acc24ex wrote:Can you do that in solidworks?

give me quick tutorials/tips if you have any please, I'd like another go at it..

You can reproduce every single piece shown in this video with 10 less passages and in a tenth of the time probably :D For every mechanical piece there's no way that a CAD software is slower than a poly software.

For tutorials...i don't know, i learned it at university and then i used it at work so i never looked for tutorials.
AMD Phenom X4 965 B.E. / ATI 5850 1GB / Nvidia GTX 580 1.5GB/ 8GB ram / Win 7 x64
Ayertosco
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby acc24ex » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:56 pm

acc24ex Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:56 pm
damn that, I was learning how to program java at the university (and never used it afterwards).. if only I knew what I wanted before :)

solidworks looks really great, the parametric modelling is like autocad in 3d, looks similar to archicad parametrics.. nice nice, I feel more inspired to try and learn it now..
Hey how about those autocad inventor, catia rhino and such tools? I hate autocad it looks so intimidating every time I open someones project, and people who make drawings in autocad always leave open areas so I have to redo their sloppy work when importing in other software..
[size=85]3dmax, zbrush, UE
//Behance profile //BOONAR
//Octane render toolbox 3dsmax
acc24ex
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Ayertosco » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:27 pm

Ayertosco Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:27 pm
Autocad inventor is on the same league as solidworks. Modelling is quite similar and once you know one you can move to the other quite immediately. There are some difference on keys, differences on the linking relations and project management and some other things but as long we are talking about models they're quite the same. I found solidworks much more appealing from a visual point, the interface is clean and it has a modern look where inventor it's more cold and classic. Remember that for cad users you can always find free contents on sites as '3dcontent.com (if i remember correctly)'
AMD Phenom X4 965 B.E. / ATI 5850 1GB / Nvidia GTX 580 1.5GB/ 8GB ram / Win 7 x64
Ayertosco
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby acc24ex » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:48 am

acc24ex Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:48 am
Ayertosco wrote:Autocad inventor is on the same league as solidworks. Modelling is quite similar and once you know one you can move to the other quite immediately. There are some difference on keys, differences on the linking relations and project management and some other things but as long we are talking about models they're quite the same. I found solidworks much more appealing from a visual point, the interface is clean and it has a modern look where inventor it's more cold and classic. Remember that for cad users you can always find free contents on sites as '3dcontent.com (if i remember correctly)'

yes the resulting models and animations look the same, but anyway, which one is simpler to connect to other programs, which is the industry standard? Better connectivity with autocad coreldraw..
I've got a friend working on a design which he is making in coreldraw (corel can export nicely into adobe indesign which is what c4d likes a lot) - so lets say which software is more flexible when I want to export or import from.. that's probably an important point..
And what file format do those CNC machinist usually prefer?
acc24ex
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sathe » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:04 am

sathe Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:04 am
I've created a free modeling tutorial which explains all the critical parts of 3Dsmax subdivision modeling.
It's about 90 minutes long, hope you enjoy it.

Cheers mate.

http://vimeo.com/10941211
sathe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Ayertosco » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:27 am

Ayertosco Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:27 am
acc24ex wrote:yes the resulting models and animations look the same, but anyway, which one is simpler to connect to other programs, which is the industry standard? Better connectivity with autocad coreldraw..
I've got a friend working on a design which he is making in coreldraw (corel can export nicely into adobe indesign which is what c4d likes a lot) - so lets say which software is more flexible when I want to export or import from.. that's probably an important point..
And what file format do those CNC machinist usually prefer?

They're the same...every CAD software as solidworks or Inventor can open each other formats even if editing is somehow tricky. Solidworks for example supports Catia, ProE, Solidedge, inventor files and then a huge list of 3d formats, as .STL for 3d-prototyping, file .Step for CNC (and MOI :D) 3dxml, IGS, universal 3d. And of course you can import directly on your sketches (with a simple copy & paste) Autocad sketch, DWG and DFX files, coreldraw and illustrator vectors. Unfortunately it doesn't support OBJ (only through a pricey plugin) and the free collada add on is bugged or something. Modo (32bit) supports solidworks files too because they develop photoview 360 for Solidworks.

PS: if you're going to play with solidworks feel free to ask if you want help or tips
Ayertosco
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby acc24ex » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:24 pm

acc24ex Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:24 pm
Ayertosco wrote:
PS: if you're going to play with solidworks feel free to ask if you want help or tips

going through the first tutorial, and it looks so nice to work with, but I got lost quite fast when I steered off course :),
still it's just so exact all the reference points and all those presets - I'd like some of that in cinema - how about pointers on that..
How long did it take you to get real comfortable working with it?
acc24ex
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Ayertosco » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:25 am

Ayertosco Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:25 am
Well i don't know really...i learned it a long time ago. But i was learning both solidworks and alias studio and i did my final work with solidworks quite easy. Relations are quite simple. The best way is to link the sketches and not the solid but as you start you can use the solid relations. Then...maybe you want to make a lot of single pieces and then make an assembly of them so you can place them wherever you want with relations
Ayertosco
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Zay » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:02 am

Zay Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:02 am
Hexagon and Sculptris.
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Bonzai 3d

Postby tetrochuan » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:18 am

tetrochuan Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:18 am
hm

you guys should give bonzai3d a try- its from the makers of form-z

bonzai3d was buggy as fuck in its first few releases but as its 2.2 at the moment and we are awaiting 2.3 there are no more bugs at all as i see it.
its missing some (very) adavanced features that will be in form-z 7, some of these features are in moi for example but basecally
bonzai3d is what every architect should take a look at... its a solid modeler with good nurbz features and the workflow and created tools inside of it are just awesome
havent had a nicer modeling exp. yet
win7 ultimate 64bit | intel i7-3930k @ 42x100 | asus p9x79 pro | 32 gb ddr3-1600 | 3x780ti @ 1ghz | 2x asus proart pa246 24" | main hdd ocz vertex 4 | some mice keyboard and a wacom intuos4
tetrochuan
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D