what other modelling stuff do you use?

Forums: what other modelling stuff do you use?
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

what other modelling stuff do you use?

Postby acc24ex » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:30 am

acc24ex Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:30 am
Hey peoplez using c4d, can you suggest which other modeling software to use based on your experience, so it's as easy and user friendly as c4d, I guess zbrush is the first choice for its flexibility but its messy to learn it.. how about Modo, it says it's intuitive but I ended up breaking my fingers from all the shortcuts I am having to learn in order to just move around the scene / not intuitive at all like c4d is, a 5 year old kid can start using cinema in like 5 minutes, I tested that :)..

What do you use? Also I am having trouble grasping the hypernurbs modeling so maybe someone has (good) tutorials to suggest? I know weighing and basic stuff and whatever, but didn't make anything complex with it. Mainly use it to make models smoother.. Is it worth learning cinemas NURBS or say rhino ones?
What is the industry standard people use for industrial design?
[size=85]3dmax, zbrush, UE
//Behance profile //BOONAR
//Octane render toolbox 3dsmax
acc24ex
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: what other modelling stuff do you use?

Postby pckmark » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:09 pm

pckmark Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:09 pm
I think 3ds max is a safe bet, it really has an extraordinary amount of modeling tools. But its very pricey...

I use blender 3d, which was not that easy to begin with, and i'm a former cinema 4d user. Right now, that is definitely my favorite tool for modeling. It is fast, and can do mostly anything with the right knowledge (which i still lack), but i model way faster than in cinema.

Have you tried Silo from nevercenter? Should be a good modeller, i just cant get my head around it.
Sidux X86_64 - 450 GTS "golden sample" - 4 GB Ram - Intel Core 2 Quad 2.33 GhZ - 1 TB Sata drive
pckmark
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Ayertosco » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:16 pm

Ayertosco Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:16 pm
M.O.I. 3D which is really a fantastic piece of software (and it's cheap) and solidworks for solid modelling. I use C4D too and i found all of them really complementary. I've tried Silo and i love it but it's almost dead on the support side
AMD Phenom X4 965 B.E. / ATI 5850 1GB / Nvidia GTX 580 1.5GB/ 8GB ram / Win 7 x64
Ayertosco
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kivig » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:26 pm

kivig Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:26 pm
Going to external renderers modelling soft actually is a very interesting question.

I've used 3dsMax, Maya, Blender.
Max is great for architecture and mechanics, ZBrush is fast at organics, Maya could be somewhere between and Blender is a bit of each. Well - not a small bit anymore.
But I wonder why none of them is perfect. It's not that it should be meant for some single thing only - you can just ignore features if they aren't needed.
Perfect external modeler could exist same as external renderers do.

For most I'm interested in speed. What is the fastest modeling stuff do you know?
(If all the hot-keys are on automation level)
http://www.visnevskis.com
Vista64/Ubuntu, GTX470/580
kivig
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Ayertosco » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:12 pm

Ayertosco Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:12 pm
Solidworks but is solid modelling and it needs some workaround to adjust its models to the need of Octane for example. But as far as i know, having used Modo, C4D, Silo, Cinema, Maya, MOI and a little bit of 3D sudio...Solidworks its my personal faster way to model. Than of course..speaking about meshes and poly, C4D but i think it's more about workflow and personal way of thinking than modelling tools or layout. I know of people that are really really fast with Maya and cannot simply understand others workflow even if they are simple (as C4D)
AMD Phenom X4 965 B.E. / ATI 5850 1GB / Nvidia GTX 580 1.5GB/ 8GB ram / Win 7 x64
Ayertosco
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Perdition » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:22 pm

Perdition Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:22 pm
I'm using C4D right now, but for what I've used before (for polymodeling) I found XSI very fast compared to Maya, Max etc.
Intel i7 5960X | 32Gb DDR4 | GTX 980 Ti 6Gb | Windows 10 64bit
Perdition
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby acc24ex » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:42 am

acc24ex Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:42 am
Ayertosco wrote:Solidworks but is solid modelling and it needs some workaround to adjust its models to the need of Octane for example. But as far as i know, having used Modo, C4D, Silo, Cinema, Maya, MOI and a little bit of 3D sudio...Solidworks its my personal faster way to model. Than of course..speaking about meshes and poly, C4D but i think it's more about workflow and personal way of thinking than modelling tools or layout. I know of people that are really really fast with Maya and cannot simply understand others workflow even if they are simple (as C4D)

I've actually learned c4d while doing a fairly huge landscape after testing most of the apps just because it looks so user friendly, took me a month to learn it and built a big model from autocad blueprints (for a landscape architecture contest).. discovered I can import autocad drawings and coreldraw drawings and export back to vectors.. that's just flexible.. so I was pretty pleased with the learning curve.
Also I use archicad, which is just perfect for architecture and it's an excellent architect tool, but it's not very flexible for other stuff, that's why you can import c4d objects inside it - actually that's where I decided to start using cinema more, and used artlantis for rendering - it's like octane only nowhere close to it visual..
Still Archicad has some pretty nice drawing tools, I'd like to see some more like that in other tools, it's like using autocad and modeling it in 3d in the same time, and it took just a 4 day seminar to learn it, that is pretty cool, c4d's drawing tools seem pretty basic compared to that - or I just didn't learn how to use them
anyway
used sketchup a few times, it just looks so fast and simple, and 3dwarehouse is a nice asset, but no organic modeling on that, still I recommend it to anyone wanting to start out..

also tried blender.. didn't get too much, took me 10 minutes to learn how to move around - that's a lot

tried 3dmax, I just hate it for some reason, I tried learning it several times, it just doesn't appeal to me like cinema did, I mean everyone uses it like there's nothing else around, and has the hugest user base, but it's just so uninspiring to use - to me anyway, I know people switching from 3dmax to c4d.. I'd like to go there just because of the huge user base and all those plugins.. but seems like they didn't change a lot from version 6.0 to version 2010

tried solidworks, installed it but couldn't get my head around it.. can you make like physical properties like weight and strenght of an object to determine whether a construction will break and stuff like that? That sounded quite appealing.. maybe I'll give it another go and see how that works..
Well if I can import stuff into cinema from solidworks that wouldn't be a big workaround. I'm definetly keeping c4d.. main area of interest is archvis (landscape design and interiors) and some prototyping..
Liked the hair module a lot for its ability to do beatifull grass - only it's such a pain in the ass when I can't use it on a big model since it eats up a lot of everything.
also trying to play around with zbrush, it's great but I need time to learn it..

anyway so if someone uses archicad and c4d and sketchup and has experience in that what else might one suggest
acc24ex
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Ayertosco » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:53 am

Ayertosco Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:53 am
Being solidworks a cad software of course you can setup all the physical properties of the object (material library) and design all the mechanical works it needs. Than of course you can perform a huge list of tests, from stress tests to hydrodinamics or thermodynamics test. It's a complete industrial design tool. From the modelling side it's very nice designed for all the solid modelling stuff as extrusion and subtractions, quite a different matter than the too much complicated booleans of software like c4d or moi. Than...you'll have to work with precise measuring and relations within the sketch and models that's a different workflow from the polymodelling software. To export to c4d i use to export to step, than convert the step to obj with M.O.I. unfortunately there isn't a common 3d format to use (there's a collada plugin but it doesn't work).

I was tempted to learn 3d coat to do some voxel sculpting. Tried zbrush but simply didn't get the strange interface and it's too expensive for me at the moment. Maybe with zbrush 4 things will change (not the price tag unfortunately)
Ayertosco
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby acc24ex » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:43 am

acc24ex Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:43 am
Ayertosco wrote:Being solidworks a cad software of course you can setup all the physical properties of the object (material library) and design all the mechanical works it needs. Than of course you can perform a huge list of tests, from stress tests to hydrodinamics or thermodynamics test. It's a complete industrial design tool. From the modelling side it's very nice designed for all the solid modelling stuff as extrusion and subtractions, quite a different matter than the too much complicated booleans of software like c4d or moi. Than...you'll have to work with precise measuring and relations within the sketch and models that's a different workflow from the polymodelling software. To export to c4d i use to export to step, than convert the step to obj with M.O.I. unfortunately there isn't a common 3d format to use (there's a collada plugin but it doesn't work).

I was tempted to learn 3d coat to do some voxel sculpting. Tried zbrush but simply didn't get the strange interface and it's too expensive for me at the moment. Maybe with zbrush 4 things will change (not the price tag unfortunately)

I like that, c4d has boolean modeling but it isn't always recommended as it leaves some artefacts..

check those boolean operations

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE04CTpCIdQ&playnext=1&videos=OBLuIjUyPIs[/youtube]

Can you do that in solidworks?

give me quick tutorials/tips if you have any please, I'd like another go at it..
Last edited by acc24ex on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
acc24ex
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby RK-art » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:02 am

RK-art Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:02 am
I use ZBrush and 3D Coat along with C4D.
Win 7 Ultimate 64 / 4 x Geforce GTX 590 / Intel 7 @4.00 Ghz / 24GB RAM
RK-art
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D