Octane Sun and reflections

Forums: Octane Sun and reflections
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Octane Sun and reflections

Postby Joanlaninja » Wed May 22, 2024 4:37 pm

Joanlaninja Wed May 22, 2024 4:37 pm
Hello. I have a problem, I am lighting a series of scenes with Octane Sun and the lighting and reflections match very well, but I don't want the solar disk (what would be the Sun) to be reflected, as it generates flares in the reflections that I'm being asked to remove. I've tried everything but I can't manage it. Is there any way to do this? Adjusting the size or intensity of the Sun alters the lighting, and moving the light position obviously does too. The entire scene, except for the reflection of the Sun itself, is perfect. What can I do? Using "exclude" doesn't seem to have any effect and I can't find information regarding this problem...
Joanlaninja
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane Sun and reflections

Postby bepeg4d » Thu May 23, 2024 6:25 am

bepeg4d Thu May 23, 2024 6:25 am
Hi,
you could create a Panoramic camera, keep only the DayLight Environment active, then render an HDRI of the sky.
Open it in PhotoShop or similar, and erase the sun, then load it in a Visible Environment node, enabling both Backplate, and Reflections/Refraction.

ciao,
Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby Joanlaninja » Thu May 23, 2024 8:59 am

Joanlaninja Thu May 23, 2024 8:59 am
bepeg4d wrote:Hi,
you could create a Panoramic camera, keep only the DayLight Environment active, then render an HDRI of the sky.
Open it in PhotoShop or similar, and erase the sun, then load it in a Visible Environment node, enabling both Backplate, and Reflections/Refraction.

ciao,
Beppe

Hello Bepe, thank you very much for your help. I will do that. Anyway, I'm not sure if this is the right place to say it (because I don't know if anyone from the Otoy team will read it), but this seems like the typical thing that, by adding a little button saying "generate sky without sun globe reflection" or something similar, would be very useful and shouldn't be too difficult to implement. I don't know if it's worth posting it somewhere visible in case it might be helpful.
Joanlaninja
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby skientia » Thu May 23, 2024 12:41 pm

skientia Thu May 23, 2024 12:41 pm
It is somewhat possible in-render:
Attachments
sun-disc-reflection.gif
A free informative resource for everyone
SKIENTIA.CO/OCTANE
skientia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Joanlaninja » Thu May 23, 2024 2:31 pm

Joanlaninja Thu May 23, 2024 2:31 pm
skientia wrote:It is somewhat possible in-render:

Well i dont use the standalone renderer (i need to keep into c4d environment)... I can put some values (like sun size or intensity) to 0, but that ruins the whole ilumination setup also.

Still, having an option to hide the sun globe in the sky reflections would be an useful addition, for me at least.
Joanlaninja
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby skientia » Thu May 23, 2024 2:37 pm

skientia Thu May 23, 2024 2:37 pm
Joanlaninja wrote:Well i dont use the standalone renderer (i need to keep into c4d environment)... I can put some values (like sun size or intensity) to 0, but that ruins the whole ilumination setup also.

1. Standalone is should be identical to any plug-in in its core functions, for the most part.

2. Lighting is rarely a mere single light source but a couple if not many more. Pairing the Sky Env with an area light (or newly introduced Parallel light) as the key "sun" light source will offer more control and yield a virtually identical result if set properly. This is commonly done in both CG and real (on-set) productions.
SKIENTIA.CO/OCTANE
skientia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Joanlaninja » Thu May 23, 2024 3:11 pm

Joanlaninja Thu May 23, 2024 3:11 pm
skientia wrote:
Joanlaninja wrote:Well i dont use the standalone renderer (i need to keep into c4d environment)... I can put some values (like sun size or intensity) to 0, but that ruins the whole ilumination setup also.

1. Standalone is should be identical to any plug-in in its core functions, for the most part.

2. Lighting is rarely a mere single light source but a couple if not many more. Pairing the Sky Env with an area light (or newly introduced Parallel light) as the key "sun" light source will offer more control and yield a virtually identical result if set properly. This is commonly done in both CG and real (on-set) productions.

Oh thank you very much for the information. May you point any available resource to learn more about that workflow? It looks like I can learn something about that, maybe is there any tutorial about this subject?
Joanlaninja
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby skientia » Thu May 23, 2024 9:11 pm

skientia Thu May 23, 2024 9:11 pm
Here is one solid recommendation.

Octane-specific lighting content will eventually be published on the website.
SKIENTIA.CO/OCTANE
skientia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SSmolak » Fri May 24, 2024 8:07 pm

SSmolak Fri May 24, 2024 8:07 pm
skientia wrote:

You have amazing new articles ! Excellent describe of car paints.
Architectural Visualizations http://www.archviz-4d.studio
SSmolak
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby skientia » Sat May 25, 2024 1:49 pm

skientia Sat May 25, 2024 1:49 pm
SSmolak wrote:
skientia wrote:

You have amazing new articles ! Excellent describe of car paints.

Thank you for sharing your appreciation. There is certainly room for improvements. More in the oven as well.

Feel free to message here or elsewhere, any request or part(s) of published pages worth improving.
SKIENTIA.CO/OCTANE
skientia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D