quick question

Forums: quick question
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

quick question

Postby abstrax » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:45 am

abstrax Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:45 am
Hi C4D users,

I've got a question:

The exporter version 0.12 will have the ability to save/update animated textures. The way how that it's done is, that the exporter checks during the export if a texture image is animated and if that's case, creates a copy of the current frame in a sub-folder "<project name>_files".

Someone (I think it was Roubal) asked for the option to pull all used image textures into one folder relative to the OCS file. I plan to add this, too, i.e. all image textures would then be stored in the above mentioned sub-folder, too.

With one of the next releases I plan to add the possibility to export selected objects as separate OBJ/MTL files plus a CSV files which then allows you to place objects/instances of those objects using the CSV file.

Now to the question: Would it make sense to store the main OBJ/MTL files there, too? This would mean, that every OCS export would create an OCS <project dir>\<project name>.ocs and everything else in the sub-folder <project dir>\<project name>_files\.

Does that make sense? Any problems I'm not seeing?

Cheers,
Marcus
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: quick question

Postby Floating.Point » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:29 am

Floating.Point Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:29 am
This sounds like a perfectly viable solution. I'm all for it!
It wil be interesting to see if this workflow is incompatible with anyones pipeline,
To me it seems to tie everything together, making it all succinct and clean.
1 x 3930K | 1 x TitanX | 1 x GTX 970
Floating.Point
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:46 am

bepeg4d Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:46 am
+1, collecting all the files is a very useful solution also for transferring the scene to a different machine ;)
With one of the next releases I plan to add the possibility to export selected objects as separate OBJ/MTL files plus a CSV files which then allows you to place objects/instances of those objects using the CSV file.

does this mean that we could send animations with the new expoter to the 301 instancing version?
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby abstrax » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:05 am

abstrax Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:05 am
bepeg4d wrote:+1, collecting all the files is a very useful solution also for transferring the scene to a different machine ;)

does this mean that we could send animations with the new expoter to the 301 instancing version?
ciao beppe

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. The plan is to allow you to export and animate instances (but the old way with re-opening Octane for each new frame). The only problem is that you still have to manually set up the scene using separate mesh and scatter nodes. After that is done, the exporter will be able to communicate changes in the instance positions via the CSV files and the instance mesh changes via the instance OBJ files.

Cheers,
Marcus
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby bepeg4d » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:40 am

bepeg4d Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:40 am
sorry for my poor english, yeah it's exactly what i want to say, can't wait :D
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D