Inconsistent results with adding decals to glass surfaces

Forums: Inconsistent results with adding decals to glass surfaces
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Inconsistent results with adding decals to glass surfaces

Postby leave2 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:52 am

leave2 Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:52 am
Hi everyone,

I'd really like to understand where I'm going wrong. I'm trying to add a logo to a glass bottle, and so far I have the following:

My glass texture
My logo

In the logo, I make a glossy octane material, and then I plug the logo using ImageTexture into the diffuse channel. I position it where I want it, etc, and then I switch the border mode to black color.

I then duplicate that entire node structure, and plug the duplication into the opacity channel and change type to alpha.

Unfortunately, the results seem to vary wildly - not even between models, but literally between attempts. Yesterday, the logo was where I wanted it, but it was also showing on the same place on the other side of the glass, too - any idea why that is?

Today, on a different model, I'm attempting to apply a JPG gradient instead of a logo, but unfortunately, all my settings do is yes, they apply the gradient, but they also make change the opacity of the underlying glass!!

Is there something I'm missing here, or is there a limitation to this method? If so, is there a fool-proof way of applying logos/decals?
leave2
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Inconsistent results with adding decals to glass surfaces

Postby bepeg4d » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:14 am

bepeg4d Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:14 am
Have you tried with a Composite Material?
https://docs.otoy.com/cinema4d/CompositeMaterial.html
Or a Layered material?
https://docs.otoy.com/cinema4d/LayeredMaterial.html

ciao,
Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby leave2 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:49 pm

leave2 Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:49 pm
Both of those produce the same results. It just makes the texture behind it disappear as well. I don't understand why this doesn't work. Surely adding a logo to an object is pretty common in 3D Modelling? You'd think this would just be straightforward.

I've been attacking this for two days solid and nothing I'm doing produced a predictable result.
leave2
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby leave2 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:39 pm

leave2 Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:39 pm
Here's a screenshot of what I mean:
https://imgur.com/a/ZJmRLOF

Material editor sees the transparency perfectly, but when applied to the bottle, I get the result in the preview window
leave2
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:17 pm

elsksa Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:17 pm
I've checked on Standalone, the result is as expected.
Did you apply the suggested node-setup as in the links Bepp have shared?

If it doesn't work at all or consistently with one of the recommended setups, it might be a bug worth reporting.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby leave2 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:55 pm

leave2 Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:55 pm
I can recreate the issue quite a lot, which makes me wonder if it's a problem with me rather than Octane. For instance, it absolutely does not seem to work over a mix material, and in a lot of instances, a gloosy material. It doesn't work over "ABS Poly - Soft Poly Black" material from the LiveDB, but it DOES work with either of the materials from that mix. Does that make sense?
leave2
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:15 pm

elsksa Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:15 pm
Could you guide me through the steps to recreate the issue so I can see on my end?
By text or screenshots. A screen (video) recording, if that's more practical for you.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:35 am

bepeg4d Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:35 am
leave2 wrote:I can recreate the issue quite a lot, which makes me wonder if it's a problem with me rather than Octane. For instance, it absolutely does not seem to work over a mix material, and in a lot of instances, a gloosy material. It doesn't work over "ABS Poly - Soft Poly Black" material from the LiveDB, but it DOES work with either of the materials from that mix. Does that make sense?

Hi,
from what you have written, you are using the staking material technique in the c4d way, but this not the best with OctaneRender.

As said before, you need to use a Composite, or Layered materials for complex shaders, like grass with decals.

For example, you can start from a Specular material for the glass, then right click on the material node and choose the Convert to sub-material command:
CECEC75E-0AF1-44FC-B687-372B585EF61C.jpeg

And use the texture in Opacity of your label material in the Mask pin of a Composite material, between a Specular sub-material, and a Glossy sub-material:
7473C2EC-590A-40B9-830F-4D050ED0BEAF.jpeg

Or start with a Specular material, and in the Basic tab enable the Material layer option:
C1FF0DBA-739B-41C0-B489-28C143FF20FC.jpeg

Then create a Layer Group with a Diffuse and Specular layer, using the label opacity texture in the Layer Opacity pin of both layers:
D2B51251-197C-4B6B-A61F-ABBF4289F1D9.jpeg

Here is the example scene:
BottleLabelCompositeLayered.zip
(601.27 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

ciao,
Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby leave2 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:29 pm

leave2 Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:29 pm
That is incredibly helpful, thank you so much - works perfectly as far as the layering goes. My apologies for a delayed response, I thought I had notifications turned on for this thread, I've done so now!

This technique has raised one small problem that I can't seem to figure out - I've included a screenshot!

ghfdhgfdfdgd.JPG

Any idea why it's repeating like that? I've tried variations of different UV maps, etc.. I'm still very new to this, so not sure what things to try
leave2
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D