Dirty fix, if you have trouble with animations

Forums: Dirty fix, if you have trouble with animations
Autodesk Softimage XSI (Developed by Face)

Dirty fix, if you have trouble with animations

Postby PeterCGS » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:18 am

PeterCGS Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:18 am
If you like me have had nightmares with unexpected Octane freezes when doing animations lately. Here is a pretty dirty fix, until the problem is solved.

Octane freezes during shutdown, every 20-200 frames for me.. Totally randomly. And its very annoying to leave the office just to find Octane froze up 10 frames after you left.

The only solution I found working somewhat (I've tried alot of 3rd party task killers, that was suppose to kill the process if its idle, but it was very flaky) is to use the windows task scheduler (inside admin tools).

Create a new basic task, and select start a program -> Write C:\Windows\System32\taskkill.exe and add the argument /F /IM octane.exe

Set the trigger to daily, at for example 10 o'clock and repeat it every 1 hour indefinitly.

Now what happens is, that Octane renders your animation (lets say 1-5 minute/frame depending on what your scene looks like of course), and if Octane gets stuck after 30 minutes, it will automatically be killed 30 minutes after that, and then it continues.. Then in the morning you just have to press render animation again, and be sure that skip rendered frames is ticked, and it will fill any frames that didn't render properly..

I hope it helps!
Win7, i7 980 Hexacore, 24GB RAM, 3xEVGA SC 670 GTX 4GB
PeterCGS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk Softimage XSI