ICE Tips.. Help thread

Forums: ICE Tips.. Help thread
Autodesk Softimage XSI (Developed by Face)

ICE Tips.. Help thread

Postby PeterCGS » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:00 pm

PeterCGS Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:00 pm
I've done my share of struggling with ICE..... But sometimes you come across small simple ICE flows that really can help you with exporting to Octane..

Today I needed to kill all ICE meshes that are outside the FOV of the camera... It was a very simple setup! Please share your own small workflow tips :) Im addicted to the ICE implementation of caching aswell.. Its the only cache I really can setup without things going bezerk (cache manager sucks)

I noticed that the visibility test is clipping the particles a little too happily (sometimes they pop away right from the border), so the workaround in my case without looking into the test visibility compound was to create a duplicate camera with a larger FOV and use that as the tester-camera.

Last edited by PeterCGS on Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win7, i7 980 Hexacore, 24GB RAM, 3xEVGA SC 670 GTX 4GB
PeterCGS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: ICE Tips.. Help thread

Postby adrencg » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:51 pm

adrencg Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:51 pm
Thanks Peter, that ICE idea saved my butt this week. I had to render 500,000 strands and my machines kept running our of ram. I didn't use the FOV node, because it did weird things, but the tip led me to the "test weight map value" node. I just strategically painted weightmap delete areas for frame ranges, and eventually got the render done for a deadline.
Ryzen 5950x
128GB Ram
RTX 3070 x 3
adrencg
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: ICE Tips.. Help thread

Postby PeterCGS » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:00 am

PeterCGS Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:00 am
Sweet! That was the idea behind this kind of thread.. I noticed that the FOV deletion is clipping a little to abrupt (so I updated the info).. But that weight map idea sounds cool. It got me thinking about bounding box volumes... I will try that next :) If you got a screnshot about your weightmap idea, please share and I try to collect images and info at the start of the thread so its easy to browse through.
Win7, i7 980 Hexacore, 24GB RAM, 3xEVGA SC 670 GTX 4GB
PeterCGS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk Softimage XSI