is OCIO color management broken in the imager?

Forums: is OCIO color management broken in the imager?
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

is OCIO color management broken in the imager?

Postby TStrolia » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:12 pm

TStrolia Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:12 pm
Perhaps I am configuring this incorrectly, however, something does seem wrong to me. I am currently using 2022.1.2-21.30 in Maya 2024, and I am attempting to viewport render. I have the color management for the 3D viewport panel set to Linear sRGB, and set my camera imager OCIO view to use AgX appearance punchy. When running the live view it seems it just gives it a 2.2 gamma curve, instead of using OCIO. Even manual changes to the camera imager seem to sometimes turn on and sometimes not. When I do get a color management process of some sort to work, once a change is made to a material or something it refreshes the viewport and breaks again. This used to work a few versions ago, ill be octane it's self was less stable in maya it seemed. Is there some other setting I need to be considering to fix this? What is especially weird about the whole thing is, Hypershade displays correct color-management. My scene simply doesn't, which is why I am curious if maybe it is a me issue here. I feel like maybe there is some other setting I am missing that would resolve this or something.
TStrolia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: is OCIO color management broken in the imager?

Postby TStrolia » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:18 pm

TStrolia Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:18 pm
Just fixed it. It was in fact a me problem. I failed to set the render color space. Once I did that it works fine.
TStrolia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TStrolia » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:55 pm

TStrolia Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:55 pm
I was incorrect, it does visually look better but I did not manage to fix it. So, in the render view the whites blow out and the contrast is still wrong. It is subtle but still wrong. I have the viewport set to linear-srgb sso it should not be double color managing. I am not really sure what is going on. Maybe someone can help explain the correct way to color manage the view port with octane in the most recent release?
TStrolia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:00 am

elsksa Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:00 am
Standalone user here. Unfortunately not much I can do beside mentioning that Octane is self color managed and doesn’t require the software host to handle that part, as you know. Perhaps this thread might help https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78193?
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:57 pm

BK Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:57 pm
TStrolia wrote:I was incorrect, it does visually look better but I did not manage to fix it. So, in the render view the whites blow out and the contrast is still wrong. It is subtle but still wrong. I have the viewport set to linear-srgb sso it should not be double color managing. I am not really sure what is going on. Maybe someone can help explain the correct way to color manage the view port with octane in the most recent release?

Hi TStrolia,

Thanks for the post.

Yes, please always disable the host app's color management! After adding OctaneImager, OctaneOCIO view and Octane OCIOlook node.
Switch the Image format Output to **EXR** then set the OCIO color space *name* from the File Output Rollout.
You may need to Re-run the IPR.

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby nospitters » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:02 am

nospitters Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:02 am
i run in the same issue, but with ACES...
-color management is turned off
-rendering space is set to acescg in the octane ocio render settings
-exr is the output format and set to acescg

the imager seems to have no effect....ocio-view and ocio-look are connected...changing views here have no effect...and rendering isnt look right...

when turning on color management again and set there the rendering space and view, then it kind of look better, but not quite right...

MAYA 2020.4, MAYA 2023.3, octane 2023.1.2
nospitters
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:55 pm

BK Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:55 pm
nospitters wrote:i run in the same issue, but with ACES...
-color management is turned off
-rendering space is set to acescg in the octane ocio render settings
-exr is the output format and set to acescg

the imager seems to have no effect....ocio-view and ocio-look are connected...changing views here have no effect...and rendering isnt look right...

when turning on color management again and set there the rendering space and view, then it kind of look better, but not quite right...

MAYA 2020.4, MAYA 2023.3, octane 2023.1.2

Hi nospitters,

It looks like ACES is working correctly when we test.
Due to the native Image Maya buffer, we have to set the image format as EXR then the Octane View would work from Common tab>OCIO color space as the image below:

ExrCM.png

If the image format is PNG, the view works from Imager>view

ACESIPR.png

Note, that you may need to Refresh the IPR if the image formats are changed!

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Autodesk Maya