Can we expect support for USD materials in maya soon?

Forums: Can we expect support for USD materials in maya soon?
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

Can we expect support for USD materials in maya soon?

Postby TStrolia » Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:45 pm

TStrolia Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:45 pm
Specifically I am curious about lookdevX which is I believe new to 2023/2024. I skipped 2023 straight to 2024 so I may have missed it sooner. That said I know it might not be available immediately, but I am curious if it will be possible to make and export USD files using Octane materials soon. As it stands, I have not found any obvious or clear way to make a USD layer that contains xforms and USD references that will export with octane materials. I am curious if this is already roadmapped and if so, when we might be able to anticipate the functionality?
TStrolia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Can we expect support for USD materials in maya soon?

Postby BK » Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:45 am

BK Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:45 am
TStrolia wrote:Specifically I am curious about lookdevX which is I believe new to 2023/2024. I skipped 2023 straight to 2024 so I may have missed it sooner. That said I know it might not be available immediately, but I am curious if it will be possible to make and export USD files using Octane materials soon. As it stands, I have not found any obvious or clear way to make a USD layer that contains xforms and USD references that will export with octane materials. I am curious if this is already roadmapped and if so, when we might be able to anticipate the functionality?

Hi TStrolia,
Thank you so much for the post.
Maya 2024 seems ready for the USD pipeline and we have plan to integrate after the new Bifrost Graph.
Right now we can only export the USD files as ORBX. Proper USD export would come after we have materialX since it would be a standard for every renderer.
We have lots of exciting features coming up. Please check out our GTC 2022 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSeJCwsl7Ic).

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Autodesk Maya