Motion Blur with Alembics from Houdini

Forums: Motion Blur with Alembics from Houdini
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

Motion Blur with Alembics from Houdini

Postby javierluisbravo » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:11 pm

javierluisbravo Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:11 pm
Hi guys,

i am getting crazy to make motion blur work properly from houdini exported alembic files.
Any tips?

When motion blur is ON in Octane. The houdini stuff do crazy stuff in the render... it dissapears from one frame to another... or spikes of geo appears...
IF i turn the motion blur off in octane.. all renders fine.

The problems i have is with geo and simulations done from scratch in houdini... I have other geos that were exported from maya, simulated in houdini and exported back to maya... and those works great.

The stuff from houdini is a vellum simulation of some feathers...

Any help would be amazing!
Thanks!
javierluisbravo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Motion Blur with Alembics from Houdini

Postby BK » Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:24 am

BK Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:24 am
javierluisbravo wrote:Hi guys,

i am getting crazy to make motion blur work properly from houdini exported alembic files.
Any tips?

When motion blur is ON in Octane. The houdini stuff do crazy stuff in the render... it dissapears from one frame to another... or spikes of geo appears...
IF i turn the motion blur off in octane.. all renders fine.

The problems i have is with geo and simulations done from scratch in houdini... I have other geos that were exported from maya, simulated in houdini and exported back to maya... and those works great.

The stuff from houdini is a vellum simulation of some feathers...

Any help would be amazing!
Thanks!

Hi javierluisbravo,

Thanks for the post. It would be helpful if its possible to PM/DM the scene!
The first thing to check is to see if the alembic has the *Color Set* assigned and then, set the Shape node *Animator data as Force load*.
The Animator data now can be overridden from the Render Settings>Octane tab.
And the final setting *Max. MV displace* value.

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby javierluisbravo » Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:58 pm

javierluisbravo Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:58 pm
hi! :)

it was an issue from houdini... some changing topology/poly count bringing issues into maya/octane. Which caused super weird stuff in octane.

It was fixed in the export from houdini, and now the motion blur is working perfectly.

it worked out of the box with force load activated for sure... i had no need to map the vel channel in maya...

i am using latest 2021 octane version as the 2022 doesn't work with the cg bird we did... don't know why really...
but i really miss the force load were automatic or being able to be activated from the settings as i have in 3dsmax..

i am a max user now using octane in maya... it was a big difference really... in max is almost real time.. in maya is not workins that fast and it hangs a lot... really don't know why.

thanks for the feedback!
cheers
javierluisbravo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:58 pm

BK Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:58 pm
javierluisbravo wrote:hi! :)

it was an issue from houdini... some changing topology/poly count bringing issues into maya/octane. Which caused super weird stuff in octane.

It was fixed in the export from houdini, and now the motion blur is working perfectly.

it worked out of the box with force load activated for sure... i had no need to map the vel channel in maya...

i am using latest 2021 octane version as the 2022 doesn't work with the cg bird we did... don't know why really...
but i really miss the force load were automatic or being able to be activated from the settings as i have in 3dsmax..

i am a max user now using octane in maya... it was a big difference really... in max is almost real time.. in maya is not workins that fast and it hangs a lot... really don't know why.

thanks for the feedback!
cheers

Hi javierluisbravo,

Thanks for the update and glad to hear motion blur is working now. :)

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Autodesk Maya