How to use TexturingXYZ VFACE Displacement?

Forums: How to use TexturingXYZ VFACE Displacement?
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

How to use TexturingXYZ VFACE Displacement?

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:00 am

Rikk The Gaijin Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:00 am
Hi. My company have purchased a series of heads from TexturingXYZ VFACE website.
https://texturing.xyz/collections/vface

Each head comes with a 16K 32bit displacement. Each RGB channel of the displacement contains a different level of skin detail.
I have tried to use this displacement with Octane, but I don't know the proper way to plug the texture in my material, because if I just use it as it is, it wont work.

I need to tell Octane to read each RGB channel individually, and then combine them in the final result.

On their website there is a tutorial on how to use the Displacement in Houdini, but I need to use it in Maya.
https://texturing.xyz/pages/making-of-kenpachi

Can anyone from OTOY help me out?
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: How to use TexturingXYZ VFACE Displacement?

Postby BK » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:48 pm

BK Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:48 pm
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:Hi. My company have purchased a series of heads from TexturingXYZ VFACE website.
https://texturing.xyz/collections/vface

Each head comes with a 16K 32bit displacement. Each RGB channel of the displacement contains a different level of skin detail.
I have tried to use this displacement with Octane, but I don't know the proper way to plug the texture in my material, because if I just use it as it is, it wont work.

I need to tell Octane to read each RGB channel individually, and then combine them in the final result.

On their website there is a tutorial on how to use the Displacement in Houdini, but I need to use it in Maya.
https://texturing.xyz/pages/making-of-kenpachi

Can anyone from OTOY help me out?

Hi Rikk,

Thank you so much for the post.
This method is quite interesting .. !!

Would you please try the Octane Channel pick node to read the channel individually from the Octane Texture>Utility?
Then Octane Channel Merge node to combine the RGB result.

hope you will find it useful!

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:08 am

Rikk The Gaijin Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:08 am
Do you have a sample scene? I'm not familiar with those nodes.
Also, I remember there was a way to open the Standalone UI inside Maya, but I can't remember how to do that now.
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:04 pm

BK Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:04 pm
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:Do you have a sample scene? I'm not familiar with those nodes.
Also, I remember there was a way to open the Standalone UI inside Maya, but I can't remember how to do that now.

Hi Rikk,

unfortunately, we have no sample scene at the moment.
Yeah, please use the ORBX Material to use Standalone UI inside Maya,
And please make sure to close the Node editor before saving the Maya file.

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:40 am

Rikk The Gaijin Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:40 am
Ok I don't know if this is broken or if I'm doing something wrong, but it doesn't work.

if I plug the displacement directly, I can see something (it's wrong, it's not supposed to look like that)
Screenshot_3.jpg

if I attach a Channel Picker, the displacement disappear
Screenshot_4.jpg

same if I add a Channel merger
Screenshot_5.jpg

Can someone explain me what's goin on?
Also, on a separate note, please make the UI scalable, because at 4K it's way too small, I can barely read it.
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby jobigoud » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:16 am

jobigoud Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:16 am
The Texture displacement node doesn't work with procedural textures so you'll need a Baking texture after the channel picker or channel merger. Or use Vertex displacement.
But separating the three channels and regrouping them will just recreate the same image, are they saying what kind of operation needs to be done with the channels in order to reconstruct the final displacement? Do they have a sample face to test with?
jobigoud
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:24 am

Rikk The Gaijin Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:24 am
jobigoud wrote:The Texture displacement node doesn't work with procedural textures so you'll need a Baking texture after the channel picker or channel merger. Or use Vertex displacement.
But separating the three channels and regrouping them will just recreate the same image, are they saying what kind of operation needs to be done with the channels in order to reconstruct the final displacement? Do they have a sample face to test with?

It's not procedural, it's a 32bit .exr texture.
I cannot give you the full texture (it's 1.7GB) so I just cropped a piece of it (it's the corner of the mouth) so you can apply it to like a sphere, and try it.
It's calibrated for 50% mid-range.

Please check the attached file.
Attachments
XYZ_dispMultiChannel_mid50_lin_srgb.1001.exr.zip
(5.43 MiB) Downloaded 142 times
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby jobigoud » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:29 pm

jobigoud Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:29 pm
It's not procedural, it's a 32bit .exr texture.

The utility node is procedural and it's the one plugged into the displacement, this includes channel picker, channel merger, multiply, add, etc.
Whenever we use one of these the result needs to be baked if we intend to plug it into the texture displacement.

Thanks for the sample.

OK I made this graph based on the "simple workflow" of this documentation page:
The "Multiply" nodes control the influence of each channel (large/mid/small scale details) and the "Add" nodes recombines them together.

vface.jpg

ORBX (without the texture)
test-vface2.orbx
(190.91 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
jobigoud
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:42 am

Rikk The Gaijin Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:42 am
Thank you jobigoud, I will try to reproduce your graph in my scene.
It looks like your displacement is inverted, but that should be an easy fix.
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby silanbekjarov » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:04 pm

silanbekjarov Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:04 pm
jobigoud wrote:OK I made this graph based on the "simple workflow" of this documentation page:
The "Multiply" nodes control the influence of each channel (large/mid/small scale details) and the "Add" nodes recombines them together.

Hi there,
I am trying to come up with a fully working workflow for this atm but just as previously mentioned by the poster, I struggle to get this going.
I checked your example Jobigoud but I do not get how you take care of the offset correction in the very beginning. In the "simple workflow" as shown in the documentation the first node takes care of the mid value offset of -0.5 as this is a 32 bit file. And how does one get octane to not only read it properly but also accept negative values so it doesnt push everything out?

At the moment with your setup the channels get split and get recombined, with the possibility to increase or decrease each, but the very basic feature namely the offset problem and the 32bit vs. 16bit maps still is there, or am I getting it wrong?

Any ideas on how to solve the mid-value offset of -0.5? Which node could do that? Or if its not with a node, any idea how one could correct this in photoshop for example?

I appreciate any ideas or tips.
<3
silanbekjarov
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Autodesk Maya