Banding in maya render view

Forums: Banding in maya render view
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

Banding in maya render view

Postby TheImageFaculty » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:18 pm

TheImageFaculty Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:18 pm
I don't think this is an Octane specific issue, but do you generally see banding in the maya render view when using IPR? For example see attached image.

The saved image is fine, so this may be a bit depth issue on the display of the image within the render view, is there a place to change that via preferences?

I am also finding performance issue with the render view at larger resolutions. If I have a render view open of 2K plus then maya's interface gets very laggy. Again I would say that this is not a octane specific issue.

Many other render engine have their own render view of course, so if we are relying on Maya's inbuilt view and it comes with bit-depth and performance issues that would be a shame.

Let me know if you have any solutions or at least have similar issues.

Thanks,
Darren
Attachments
mayaRenderViewBanding.jpg
The Image Faculty ApS
https://theimagefaculty.com
TheImageFaculty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Banding in maya render view

Postby calus » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:30 pm

calus Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:30 pm
TheImageFaculty wrote: do you generally see banding in the maya render view when using IPR?

No I don't have banding,
but It's easy to mess up the different settings and get this problem, then it's a good way to know that something is messed up in your workflow.

TheImageFaculty wrote:
The saved image is fine, so this may be a bit depth issue on the display of the image within the render view, is there a place to change that via preferences?

It's not so simple, there are many different way to trigger this problem in renderView:
- dithering is missing for displaying linear image in renderview if Dithering is disabled in the Display menu of the renderView or if dithering is not enabled in Octane Imager settings.
- double gamma : using an Octane camera response + using Maya color management
- 8 bit depth limitation, if linear workflow is not activated by selecting an Image format with 16 at the end and if color management or Maya widget for contrast/exposure is used.

There is not one solution, it depends of your workflow:
- are you using linear workflow and maya color management, or are you using Octane tonemaping in 8 bit, or are you previewing HDR but with tonemaping HDR option enabled ?

TheImageFaculty wrote:
I am also finding performance issue with the render view at larger resolutions. If I have a render view open of 2K plus then maya's interface gets very laggy. Again I would say that this is not a octane specific issue.

I don't have this issue but you are not alone, look at this Topic :
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58798&p=303623#p301753

TheImageFaculty wrote:
Many other render engine have their own render view of course, so if we are relying on Maya's inbuilt view and it comes with bit-depth and performance issues that would be a shame.

Indeed it would be nice to have access to the OctaneViewport from within Maya, I 'm pretty sure it is possible with the octane SDK.
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Banding in maya render view

Postby TheImageFaculty » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:25 am

TheImageFaculty Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:25 am
Hi Pascal,

Thanks for that comprehensive list of possibilities :)

Ahhh...colour management, so much fun. Well I will take a look in the areas you mention, the one that caught my attention are a mismatch in the dithering settings.

I'll report back if I have any changes in results.

Thanks again,
Darren
The Image Faculty ApS
https://theimagefaculty.com
TheImageFaculty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk Maya