Motion vectors and Camera depth maya script

Forums: Motion vectors and Camera depth maya script
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

Motion vectors and Camera depth maya script

Postby RickToxik » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:13 pm

RickToxik Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:13 pm
Hi! Here is a script I made that automates the process of creating 2d normalized motion vectors and Z-Depth buffer in maya (mental ray), for use in Real smart motion blur. You can use it on another render layer to better match your octane render with other render layers / renderers. Mental ray is very picky with render settings for those two passes, so this script ensures that all is configured well so you get your vector and depth pass in one click.

details:

1) You need to create a Render layer for the DepthMotion script, it won't work on the masterlayer.
2) I don't know if it works with other versions than maya 2013, some attributes may be named differently in other versions of mr
3) Check if the default settings work for you after the script has run: camera depth 0 to 500 units, max pixel displacement 512 pixels
4) Don't mind the error saying "No object matches name..." after the script has finished, it happens because it changes the layer name, don't know why...
5) The script creates a material override on this layer, a standard lambert. You can customize the renderlayer after its creation of course.
6) Of course it's better to turn off the aperture of your octane camera if you want your depth and vectors to match between the two layers.

I'm finally able to apply post motion blur with RSMB! If you don't know how, check this out:
http://aloedesign.com/2008/12/maya-2d-m ... -tutorial/

PLEASE: There are some weird cases that you may have to run the script twice for it to work, so basically:
- create your render layer with your objects
- with your layer selected, run the script
- ...may need to run it twice until there's a window that tells you to review your passes settings
Attachments
DepthMotion.zip
(1.9 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
Last edited by RickToxik on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RickToxik
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Motion vectors and Camera depth maya script

Postby MTECH » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:17 pm

MTECH Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:17 pm
Thank you very much for working on this! I'm hoping we'll get full internal object motion blur in Octane some day, but in the meantime I'll definitely try this out.
Core i7 920 | 12 GB RAM | Nvidia GTX 470 & 260 | Win Vista x64 | Maya 2012.5 x64 | Octane beta2.57
MTECH
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Motion vectors and Camera depth maya script

Postby sampakinpa » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:25 am

sampakinpa Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:25 am
Thanks, very helpfull! :D
2x Xeon E5-2620, 32 GB RAM, 4X GTX1080ti, Windows 10, Octane 3 for Maya 2018, Radeon HD6450 for disply BRIO Animation ltd
sampakinpa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk Maya