New AOV system - Step by Step tutorial (2023.1 Beta3)

Forums: New AOV system - Step by Step tutorial (2023.1 Beta3)
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

New AOV system - Step by Step tutorial (2023.1 Beta3)

Postby neonZorglub » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:40 am

neonZorglub Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:40 am
The render outputs can be composed with various operations in multiple layers and groups.
This powerful feature can be accessed via the AOV groups, outputs and layers elements.
Those are now managed as 3dsMax Texture maps, to provide a more flexible workflow, and take advantage of the Slate editor graph.

The new AOV Scene setting dialog has a single texmap, that is the main AOV Group where multiple AOV output can reside.

In previous versions, all AOV outputs and layers were displayed in a single dialog, that could become difficult to navigate.

Note that the old AOV system is still available for now, via the 'Use Legacy AOV outputs' option.

Here is a simple introduction to the new AOV system usage:
turorial_aov_hue.zip
(158.26 KiB) Downloaded 94 times

-Load the sample scene 'aov_hue_Begin.max'

-Open the AOV Scene settings dialog
(from Octane menu, 'Open Scene AOV settings' options, or from Octane viewport, multi pass menu, 'Open AOV Settings', or from the Render Setup dialog, in Kernel / Render Settings : 'AOV Settings' button)

-Make sure 'Use Legacy AOV outputs' is disabled in 'Output AOVs [legacy] pannel.

-In Output AOVs Group pannel:
Click the AOV Group texmap button ( indicating 'No map' by default), to create a 'Output AOV group' map
(in -Maps -Octane - Output AOVs)
aov_hue_AOV Scene Settings.png

-Drag this 'Output AOV group' to the Material editor (as Instance)

-Let's rename it from, in this case 'Map #0' to 'main_aov_group'

You should have a Texmap like this (with only Output 1 with no map) :
aov_hue_1_main_aov_group.png

-Assign the Output1 by creating a Output AOV map

-Let's rename it from Map #1 to beauty_plus_hue

It should have empty 2 layers, like this:
aov_hue_2_beauty_plus_hue.png

This will be refered to as 'AOV 1 (beauty_plus_hue)' in the passes list, that you can select in the Octane viewport, and in the 'AOV Output' Render Element.

-For Layer 1, create a 'Render AOV' map (in the 'Blend' category : Maps - Octane - Output AOVs - Blend)
Let's rename it from Map #1 to 'beauty_layer'
It is set by default to the Beauty pass, so that's all we need for now.

-Go back to 'beauty_plus_hue'

-For Layer 2, create a 'Adjust hue' map (in the 'Effects-color' category : Maps - Octane - Output AOVs - Effects-color)
-Rename it from Map #2 to 'hue_layer'
-Set the 'Hue shift' value to 40

Open Octane viewport, and select the 'AOV 1 (beauty_plus_hue)' pass.

You can adjust the Hue shift value, or disable and enable the layer 2 to see the effects.
aov_hue_Viewport_off.png

aov_hue_Viewport_on.png

Note that the Hue shift value unit is in degree, so values are expected to be in the range [-180, +180]. (360 will be the same as 0, etc..)

The output can be viewed in the Slate editor:
aov_hue_Slate_editor.png

You can see the final sample scene: aov_hue_End.max
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

AOV Image, AOV effects on Layer groups

Postby neonZorglub » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:29 am

neonZorglub Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:29 am
This sample shows some usage of the AOV Image, and some of the AOV effects that can be used instead of the camera Post processor effects
AOVImageSample.zip
(982.96 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

Note that in order to use a background image, we first need to enable the 'Alpha channel' in Render settings / Kernel / Kernel type.

When working only with Octane viewport, (not using the normal rendering), it is possible to use the same image background that has been set in the 3dsMax background.

In this sample, a background image has been set in the bottom right 3dsMax viewport.
Select this 3dsMax viewport, and open Octane viewport.
When selecting 'Beauty' or 'AOV1' pass, make sure to enable 'Use viewport background' in Render settings / Kernel / Render View Settings.
cam_aber_basic_VP_Bkgnd.png

In the Render settings, Camera tab, you can adjust the Post Processing / 'Chromatic aber.' value.

Notice that the aberration effect is done on the opaque part of the Beauty pass, and produce some unnatural artifacts.

A better way to control the effect is to use AOV passes, with the AOV Image file map.

AOV 1 (need_legacy_VP_backgnd) uses a Beauty 'Render AOV' layer, with a second layer for the chromatic aberration.
This output is then combined with the 3dsMax Background image, as in the previous case.
AOV1_aber_basic_VP_Bkgnd.png

AOV 2 and AOV 3 use an AOV Image instead of the 3dsMax background, so the 'Use viewport background' should be disabled.
The Resize type should be set to Auto Fit to match the 3dsMax background, and to handle any size of output.

AOV 2 uses the Aberration effect on the last layer, so it affect both the image and the 3D beauty layer together.
AOV2_global_aber.png

AOV 3 uses the Aberration effect inside a 'Layer Group' that has the Beauty pass, so it affect only the beauty layer, not the background image.
AOV3_beauty_group_aber.png

Using Layer Groups, you can control on witch components you want to apply effects.
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: New AOV system - Step by Step tutorial (2023.1 Beta3)

Postby Nicolab28 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:20 pm

Nicolab28 Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:20 pm
It sounds great, you can imagine several outputs with different shades, but there's one thing I can't do.

Imagine that in a studio scene I have a vase and a grey background.
I assign a custom aov 1 to the vase material and an aov 2 to the grey background.
I'd like to change the hue of the vase only, or lighten the grey background.
How do I do this?

It's still quite buggy, but I can crop the vase without the background and change its hue, but I can't add it to the entire render.

Could you put up an example of this?
Thanks
Nicolab28
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby neonZorglub » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:01 am

neonZorglub Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:01 am
Nicolab28 wrote:It sounds great, you can imagine several outputs with different shades, but there's one thing I can't do.

Imagine that in a studio scene I have a vase and a grey background.
I assign a custom aov 1 to the vase material and an aov 2 to the grey background.
I'd like to change the hue of the vase only, or lighten the grey background.
How do I do this?

It's still quite buggy, but I can crop the vase without the background and change its hue, but I can't add it to the entire render.

Could you put up an example of this?
Thanks

Hi Nicolab28
It seems the 'Mask with layer group' can be used to mask a render pass using a custom AOV, and then apply a effect in the same layer..

Does something like that works for you ?:

customAOV04.zip
(136.91 KiB) Downloaded 68 times

mixing_with_custom_aovs.png

You could also try with 2 layers having each a 'Mask with Cryptomatte', with the type 'Material node name', and select 2 sets of different materials..
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Nicolab28 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:03 pm

Nicolab28 Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:03 pm
That's exactly right!

Why couldn't I do it myself?
I was so close!

Thank you!
Nicolab28
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rik » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:55 am

Rik Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:55 am
Hi
Can you please provide the tutorial files saved as max14?

Thanks
Rik
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby paride4331 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:48 pm

paride4331 Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:48 pm
Hi Rik,
Here for you.
Regards
Paride
Attachments
Max2014.rar
(715.88 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid / 3 x Evga RTX 2070 super Hybrid
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby Rik » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:39 pm

Rik Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:39 pm
Great, thanks Paride.

I can open them all so I'll have a play later and see what it's all about and try to work out where I might use it.
I'm guessing there's more to it than just changing the hue or brightness?
Rik
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max