Pixel Color display, linear workflow, EXR

Forums: Pixel Color display, linear workflow, EXR
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

Postby neonZorglub » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:59 pm

neonZorglub Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:59 pm
(From version 2021.1.5 - 12.22 / 2022.1 XB2 - 13.04)

The White balance picker can display the current pixel color in the viewport title bar.
This is updated while moving the mouse.
If you unintentionally click and change the white balance color, you can undo the change in the 3dsmax Edit menu.

When using LDR, the values will be integers in the range [0, 255].
When using HDR, the values will be floats in the range [0.0, 1.0], or unclamped values with a linear setting.

Linear workflow
Reminder:
Working with linear output is only meant for further external processing, not to be published or viewed as is.
Any linear workflow will not include the tone mapping settings.
For more information, see elsksa documentation here or here and related discussion here.

You can set a linear workflow using an OCIO configuration file, that contains a linear ocio view.
For example 'sRGB: Linear Raw' from https://github.com/sobotka/filmic-blend ... master.zip
: Octane preferences / Main, set 'OCIO: Specify config file' to the ocio file, like
C:\ocio\filmic-blender-master\config.ocio
and enable 'OCIO: Use specified config file'
Then, in your current Imager, set the OCIO view to 'sRGB: Linear Raw'

Alternatively, you can set OCIO view to 'none' and enable "Force linear 'none view'"

When saving as 3dsmax EXR with linear workflow, be aware that the '3ds Max gamma hack' should be disable, or else the 3dsmax gamma value will be used on the image.

When saving as Octane EXR, no gamma hack is used; the image is not using 3dsmax gamma.
The color displayed with the White balance picker also don't use the 3dsmax gamma.

Pixel Color display, force linear image_UI.png
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: Pixel Color display, linear workflow, EXR

Postby elsksa » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:16 pm

elsksa Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:16 pm
I'm not a 3ds Max Octane user but I thank you for your effort on this edge-case.

One detail worth to emphasize on: it's absolutely not recommended nor proper, to use the "sRGB view transform" or "response" (even the screenshot shows how broken the imagery is):
The sRGB (inverse) EOTF encoding (sometimes known and wrongly referred as “~2.2 ̶G̶a̶m̶m̶a̶ ”) as the sole (one and only) “transform”, is never enough to properly conform “scene referred linear radiometric energy tristimulus values” down to the output medium or defined output referred range.
Proper image-formation involves various aspect, from “aesthetic filmic-like look”, to proper “chroma handling” and beyond. It isn’t as simple as changing the “̶g̶a̶m̶m̶a̶ exponent” to γ2.2. — Source.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Pixel Color display, linear workflow, EXR

Postby neonZorglub » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:45 pm

neonZorglub Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:45 pm
elsksa wrote:I'm not a 3ds Max Octane user but I thank you for your effort on this edge-case.

One detail worth to emphasize on: it's absolutely not recommended nor proper, to use the "sRGB view transform" or "response" (even the screenshot shows how broken the imagery is):
The sRGB (inverse) EOTF encoding (sometimes known and wrongly referred as “~2.2 ̶G̶a̶m̶m̶a̶ ”) as the sole (one and only) “transform”, is never enough to properly conform “scene referred linear radiometric energy tristimulus values” down to the output medium or defined output referred range.
Proper image-formation involves various aspect, from “aesthetic filmic-like look”, to proper “chroma handling” and beyond. It isn’t as simple as changing the “̶g̶a̶m̶m̶a̶ exponent” to γ2.2. — Source.

Thanks elsksa !
I've updated the post to clarify the purpose of linear images.
I'm not an export in this area, so thank you for pointing this out !
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max