What is RTX optimised?

Forums: What is RTX optimised?
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

What is RTX optimised?

Postby ricchezza » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:31 am

ricchezza Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:31 am
Hey guys! Today i ve started testing a new 2020.1 version with RTX acceleration. Well, its not what ive been expecting for several month. There is only a 10-15% speed boost in some scenes - and 0% boost in others.
I ve got 2 questions for the community and the devs.

1. What is RTX optimised? I mean are there any specific scene settings or conditions that should be set to achieve this incredible boost in speed?
2. Is RTX acceleration turned on by default on render slave nodes?

If you ve got more advice on how to get speed increase please let me know or link me to an updated manual please. Thanks a lot.
ricchezza
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: What is RTX optimised?

Postby ricchezza » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:44 am

ricchezza Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:44 am
Ok. First update - using octane camera slows down rendering and shows no rtx acceleration. When switched back to standard 3ds max camera (orthographic or perspective) gives a slight 10-20% boost.
ricchezza
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:43 pm

glimpse Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:43 pm
Food day, Ricchezza,

I'm not a developer, but I can point some answers.

RTX is technology from NVIDIA, so OTOY devs are implementing what they get. With this being said, RTX is not some sort of magic that would make all scenes to render faster. Some scenes will stay with very little boost, while other will fly.

Heavy scenes with a lot of triangles, instances and such will work great - as that's the thing RTX is very efficient at. You could easily expect 2-3x boost with those.

However other scene, that has less triangles, more heavy textures not see any benefit at all.

and then there are scenes that could go 15, 20, 30x.. I would join OctaneRender group on facebook to see some examples, like these for instance: 3x speed up & 30x speed up
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ricchezza » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:53 pm

ricchezza Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:53 pm
glimpse wrote:Food day, Ricchezza,

I'm not a developer, but I can point some answers.

RTX is technology from NVIDIA, so OTOY devs are implementing what they get. With this being said, RTX is not some sort of magic that would make all scenes to render faster. Some scenes will stay with very little boost, while other will fly.

Heavy scenes with a lot of triangles, instances and such will work great - as that's the thing RTX is very efficient at. You could easily expect 2-3x boost with those.

However other scene, that has less triangles, more heavy textures not see any benefit at all.

and then there are scenes that could go 15, 20, 30x.. I would join OctaneRender group on facebook to see some examples, like these for instance: 3x speed up & 30x speed up

Well that was not the point of my question. Believe it or not - i do understand that RTX is not magic. And i already know that "others will fly". The point is that those scenes that "fly" are called RTX optimized by otoy. I was wondering - what is optimized exactly? Certain material types? Lights? Textures? And if i do not get ANY acceleration at all - whats wrong with my scene. There could be some sort of explanation or info graphics - what kind of scene will get a boost with material types, dependencies etc etc. Btw - i tested RTX boost with different types of materials: specular, diffuse, gloss - no difference at all.
ricchezza
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:04 pm

glimpse Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:04 pm
please do understand that this is rather new field for all, including devs such.

With time we will see more examples and work out some sort of guide and best practices for users to follow.

Another thing is system and drivers. We noticed lately that some users get negative impact on render time, or can not even enable RTX functionality. Reinstalling drivers might help. Since it's rather new functionality I would keep some of the latest studio drivers.
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ricchezza » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:10 pm

ricchezza Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:10 pm
yeah my studio drivers are up to date. ok will wait some more time. there is nothing else to do.
ricchezza
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Agendum » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:47 pm

Agendum Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:47 pm
I get no boost either on simple or even complex scenes. Well, we got duped...lesson learned.
Agendum
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby tcheng00 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:20 pm

tcheng00 Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:20 pm
RTX has some limitations at the moment. It does not work with:

1) motion blur
2) anything that automatically generates new geometry
- displacement
- edge rounding shader
- dirt texture node

RTX works best with simple highly instanced scenes, where ray tracing is the dominant factor.
tcheng00
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby immortalartscom » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:40 pm

immortalartscom Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:40 pm
tcheng00 wrote:RTX has some limitations at the moment. It does not work with:

1) motion blur
- displacement
- edge rounding shader
- dirt texture node

RTX works best with simple highly instanced scenes, where ray tracing is the dominant factor.

thx for listing this. thats extremly sad. i am working on a big project and for a long time i havent recognized it... and then the big disapointment. scenes now render much longer but at least they look like they should. so for production it is not useable.
immortal-arts | filmproduction | soundstudio
http://www.immortal-arts.com
immortalartscom
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:23 pm

Goldorak Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:23 pm
immortalartscom wrote:
tcheng00 wrote:RTX has some limitations at the moment. It does not work with:

1) motion blur
- displacement
- edge rounding shader
- dirt texture node

thx for listing this. thats extremly sad. i am working on a big project and for a long time i havent recognized it... and then the big disapointment. scenes now render much longer but at least they look like they should. so for production it is not useable.

vertex displacement IS RTX accelerated.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Next

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max