Falloff looking at object

Forums: Falloff looking at object
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

Falloff looking at object

Postby Rico_uk » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:01 pm

Rico_uk Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:01 pm
HI all, I've struggled a bit with using the 'direction' in the falloff node, it's quite hard to control so I've made a bit of a workaround and thought I'd post here in case it helps anyone. Max file and video attached.
Essentially changing the controller of the direction parameter in the material to a Point 3 XYZ controller to expose each value. Then using wire parameters to link these values to the local axis positions of an object which is parented to the object that has the falloff material. Worth noting that Y and Z are switched, so the local Y position should affect the 3rd slot in the direction parameter. Another thing to note is the Y axis from Max needs to be inverted. And a final thing is that the values in the direction parameter slot are limited to -1 and 1, so I've divided the local position by 100 so that I get a value small enough, depends on scene scale I suppose.
Would love to have this is a tidy script for linking objects and relative direction, I've tried using a float script which works fine but the problem is that it doesn't update in real time and only updates when I scrub the timeline., so I've done it using Wire Parameters which updates immediately. Any thoughts / additions to make this better would be very welcome!
Attachments
falloff_direction.zip
(19.96 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

[ Play Quicktime file ] falloff.mp4 [ 3.85 MiB | Viewed 660 times ]

Rico_uk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max