Phoenix FD 3.0 particle usage with Octane plugin 4.33

Forums: Phoenix FD 3.0 particle usage with Octane plugin 4.33
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

Re: Phoenix FD 3.0 particle usage with Octane plugin 4.33

Postby coilbook » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:29 pm

coilbook Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:29 pm
Notiusweb wrote:Hello!
I am using Max 2018, latest stable build plugin 3.06.4 - 4.39, latest Phoenix build.
Just asking for some guidance, I am sure I am missing something, like a scatter map or something. (or might it be a bug?...)

In PhoenixFD fire object preset, on the default VRAY max render getting just the ball and fire emission, but on Octane getting the volume radiating/filling the whole container 'box'.
Any thoughts how to reduce that / purposefully create that, tried tweaking different things couldn't get the box to go away without reducing the intensity of the whole thing (primitive sphere and flame).
If I set Emission scale to 1.0, it is just a white volume box, and the more I lower it all uniformly fades to 0. The volume container is always visibly present.
Volume Container.jpg

Contrast that to this cloud one, the box isn't filled with a grey haze, just the actual volume shape. It must be a power setting somewhere, but don't know.

Volume Container.2.jpg

Thx and Regards!
-Notiusweb

look at this post hopefully it helps viewtopic.php?f=27&t=58780&start=10
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:37 pm

Notiusweb Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:37 pm
coilbook wrote:
Notiusweb wrote:Hello!
I am using Max 2018, latest stable build plugin 3.06.4 - 4.39, latest Phoenix build.
Just asking for some guidance, I am sure I am missing something, like a scatter map or something. (or might it be a bug?...)

In PhoenixFD fire object preset, on the default VRAY max render getting just the ball and fire emission, but on Octane getting the volume radiating/filling the whole container 'box'.
Any thoughts how to reduce that / purposefully create that, tried tweaking different things couldn't get the box to go away without reducing the intensity of the whole thing (primitive sphere and flame).
If I set Emission scale to 1.0, it is just a white volume box, and the more I lower it all uniformly fades to 0. The volume container is always visibly present.
Volume Container.jpg

Contrast that to this cloud one, the box isn't filled with a grey haze, just the actual volume shape. It must be a power setting somewhere, but don't know.

Volume Container.2.jpg

Thx and Regards!
-Notiusweb

look at this post hopefully it helps viewtopic.php?f=27&t=58780&start=10

Thank you Coilbook. I see that there is good discussion in your referenced post on 2 things (1) maps (2) and the different emitter channels, ie Temperature.
Maybe the default preset has a setting for one of these channels that I should tweak for Octane.
I guess if I find a different flame/fire sample scene somewhere I could test if it is the software or a setting.

But you know what is weird, there is a sample scene earlier in this present topic with smoke, and when I tried it ("01c.zip"), it didn't do anything. Even running the simulation did nothing. So it made me wonder if plugin 4.33 and Max 2017 or something is handling/interpreting the scene settings different with Phoenix. Anyway, I appreciate it!

Also, if anyone else has ever seen an emission populate the entire volume container like I show in my pic, what did you do to adjust that. Thx!!!!
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:05 pm

Notiusweb Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:05 pm
Coilbook, you did it!
That post referred to 'Max Grid Value', and that is the parameter you tweak and you see a difference.
Then when you move the little triangles on the ramp bar itself you can set thresholds for the flame vs the volume container's emission/visibility!....

Volume Container.3.jpg

To anyone new*, you have to:
-Assign a Volume Medium Map to the Octane Volume (WSM)
-access that Volume Medium (instance, ie 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.) in the Material editor in Max
-Double click on that to get the parameters for Emission and Emission Ramp. Set Emission as an Octane Texture Emission (for example), set Emission Ramp as an Octane Volume Ramp
-Look at Coilbook's post before this to see the other thread where they show the pic of the multicolored flame thing, and look at the settings outlined there. Special attention to the Max Grid Value and Volume Ramp

* I only add this because if you work in Daz, Sketchup, or C4D, you likely have no idea what you are doing in those plugins 50% the time. If Lightwave and Houdini, you have no idea 85% of the time...
But coming into this, where Max is usually pretty straight forward, you will have -0 (negative zero) % chance of knowing what the F$%* is going on with this Volume-Medium-Ramp-Grid-Emission-Scale stuff!...

Now I have to see how to ramp da colors...YES!

Regards and Thanks,
Notiusweb
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby remKa » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:57 am

remKa Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:57 am
Hello !

First of all, thank you a lot for making phoenix FD working so well with Octane !

I have a request though, for multiple liquid types in a same simulation... I would like to use the PheonixFDGridTex to allow a material assignation by RGB values ( i.e : red paint material for a liquid source with a red RGB value, water material for a liquid source with a blue RGB value...etc)

Maybe there is already a trick I'm not aware of !

Anyway, thank you in advance :)
i7 3930K / 1 EVGA Titan Black SuperClocked - 1 GTX Titan - 1 GTX 960 / 32 Gb DDR 3
http://www.remka.fr
https://twitter.com/remKa_
remKa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:07 pm

coilbook Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:07 pm
Notiusweb wrote:Coilbook, you did it!
That post referred to 'Max Grid Value', and that is the parameter you tweak and you see a difference.
Then when you move the little triangles on the ramp bar itself you can set thresholds for the flame vs the volume container's emission/visibility!....

Volume Container.3.jpg

To anyone new*, you have to:
-Assign a Volume Medium Map to the Octane Volume (WSM)
-access that Volume Medium (instance, ie 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.) in the Material editor in Max
-Double click on that to get the parameters for Emission and Emission Ramp. Set Emission as an Octane Texture Emission (for example), set Emission Ramp as an Octane Volume Ramp
-Look at Coilbook's post before this to see the other thread where they show the pic of the multicolored flame thing, and look at the settings outlined there. Special attention to the Max Grid Value and Volume Ramp

* I only add this because if you work in Daz, Sketchup, or C4D, you likely have no idea what you are doing in those plugins 50% the time. If Lightwave and Houdini, you have no idea 85% of the time...
But coming into this, where Max is usually pretty straight forward, you will have -0 (negative zero) % chance of knowing what the F$%* is going on with this Volume-Medium-Ramp-Grid-Emission-Scale stuff!...

Now I have to see how to ramp da colors...YES!

Regards and Thanks,
Notiusweb

I am glad it helped! Seems like octane has too many parameters to tweak for fire/smoke
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:14 am

Notiusweb Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:14 am
Now see that volume container/bounding box in scene can ultimately be adjusted in Standalone as well with further modification to Max Grid Value.
But, Coilbook, I actually wish there were MORE settings to mess with for fire!
Well, maybe saying I want more is obnoxious of me to say...

I'll try in future not to be so obviously obnoxious...

Anyway,
USA!
USA!
USA!

USABall.jpg
Export to Standalone was Delicate, Suave, and Elegant...
Just like Trump.
TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP!
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby visionmaster2 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:10 pm

visionmaster2 Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:10 pm
Notiusweb, for the file 01c.zip", move the plane out of the ground, lauch a simulation and render.
visionmaster2
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:28 pm

Notiusweb Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:28 pm
visionmaster2 wrote:Notiusweb, for the file 01c.zip", move the plane out of the ground, lauch a simulation and render.

Oh wow, thank you!
You are correct, I raised it up and...FLOOMF!

I really appreciate you taking the time to give me that info, regards!

-Notiusweb
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max