Variations to instanced geometry and octane proxys

Forums: Variations to instanced geometry and octane proxys
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

Variations to instanced geometry and octane proxys

Postby Rik » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:27 pm

Rik Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:27 pm
I've probably missed it but is there a way using max to apply a material to a bunch of instances and have various randomisation in the material?

I'm trying to do a tiled roof, the tile geometry is quite heavy so I'm trying to use instances or proxys.

In order to add some variation I'd like to:

have random rgb maps applied to the instances - eg, 4 images of rooftiles applied randomly to the different instances.
randomise the orientation of the rgb map images - ideally every 90degrees
randomly mirror the rgb images
have the different instances multiplied by by various shades of grey (think I can already do this one with random color into gradient into multiply texture, multiplied by the tile jpg. This creates variation but you can tell it's the same jpg over every instance and looks wrong)

I think you should be able to have 8 different variations(4 x rotation x 3 mirrored) with unlimited tone differences from just 1 photo of a roof tile.

For the Standalone Lua scripting guys I think they have a solution...
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=53839

Am I missing something?
Rik
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Variations to instanced geometry and octane proxys

Postby paride4331 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:05 am

paride4331 Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:05 am
Hi Rik,
at moment, there is not something like multitextures in 3dsMax Octane plugin; as mentioned earlier we have to wait OSL.
Said that, take a look at this, it could solve your needs:
https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=56487&p=290025&hilit=multitexture#p290025
Regards
Paride
2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid / 3 x Evga RTX 2070 super Hybrid
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max